What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Graham Parker. Howlin’ wind.
Because it’s November up here in the north of the UK.

13 Likes

Lee Morgan The Sidewinder / 1999 Blue Note / France CD / RVG Edition / 724349533226

17 Likes

Now playing…

Anat Cohen - Quartinho

Anat Cohen (Clarinet, Bass Clarinet), Vitor Goncalves (Piano, Accordion, Fender Rhodes), Tal Mashiach (Bass, Guitar) and James Shipp (Vibraphone, Percussion, Glockenspiel, Analog Synthesizer).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… kicking off this Monday morning with Anat and her fine quartet and she and the band are sounding sublime! It has been a year since I saw Anat with James, Victor and Tal here in Seattle and this is one fine album… a lovely way to ease into the day…

7 Likes

Joni Mitchell - Archives Vol 3 - The Asylum Years 1972 - 1975

Been looking for this at a reasonable price. My usual cleap store for 16bit Juno Download aren’t going to stock it. Qobuz Hi Res even with sublime discount is £77. HighResAudio have a Black Friday sale with 15% off gets it to about £60.

Then I spotted Rhino Records store doing the Hi Res at $59 now normally you put in your details and it says not available in your territory but it worked for £50 - could be my new goto site.

Still expensive but Hi Res - 96 tracks circa 6 hours of music and from the first few tracks well worth the investment.

15 Likes

Don’t think he ever bettered his debut which also formed the basis of a terrific live experience :+1:

1 Like

It’s annoying when tracks are removed on subsequent releases…

1 Like

Blondie - Plastic Letters - CD

26 Likes

Yes I agree and saw him live about that time. The follow up Heat treatment is also very good imo.

2 Likes

Its on Backtracks from 2009 if anybody wants a listen.

Calling Rastafari - Various Artists

Reggae comp featuring tunes from Culture, The Gladiators, Mighty Diamonds, The Itals and Wailing Souls. Features some great tracks including The Itals’ Jah Glory and Mighty Diamonds’ 4000 Years.

5 Likes

Those two + Squeezing Out Sparks. Like you I saw him early doors at Leeds Poly and it was perfect. Next time I saw him supported by Southside Johnny - was a mismatch with SJ the clear winner. Saw him some years ago solo at Union Chapel, Islington. He needed The Rumour imo. I have a huge soft spot for him still and we play Howlin’ Wind regularly. Good shout :+1:

2 Likes

Session Victim - Low Key, Low Pressure. Described as House producers, and I could dance to this in a dad-like way, but better described as mid- tempo electronica IMO. Nice, laid back grooves, anyway.

4 Likes

Box time.

22 Likes

On Rough Trade so not the best pressing but a lovely open production which reminds me of old rock ‘n’ roll albums. Great songs of course and a voice which oozes pathos.

6 Likes

Great comp along with Wiser Dread and Knotty Vision from the Nighthawk label.
Omnivore are now re issuing much of the superb Nighthawk catalogue, sadly a liitle bird in the business tells me their not paying the royalties/dues to the artists/estates

1 Like

British Sea Power | Sea of Brass | 2015
A fine blend of a proper Northern brass band and Indie rock, sounds an unlikely combo but it works really well, it’s refreshing to get British Sea Power out (now Sea Power) every once in a while.

9 Likes

I love Graham Parker too. The last time I saw him at my local arts centre a few years ago doing a solo acoustic set. He was a right grumpy a*sehole on that night.
He invited requests from the audience who as you might expect were mostly calling for his classics from The Rumour days.
He was rude to the audience, abruptly refusing to do any of the requests he had invited then bizarrely proceeded to play a kazoo badly :joy:

4 Likes

Some great live Jazz Fonk from King Curtis

:heart:

7 Likes

Amazing clarity in guitar expression in the first (title) track.
Again heard on Vinyl Detective radio

10 Likes

Jon & Vangelis - The Friends of Mr. Cairo

22 Likes