What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

4 Likes

Definitely one of the best live albums.

I didn’t manage to see UFO live but saw Michael Schenker Group live a couple of times in the early 80s.

I’ve seen Schenker 3 times recently, musically superb, playing the UFO favourites, but the vocalists are pretty awful.
I’ll be going to watch him in a couple of weeks time, if I can get my finger out and buy a ticket. :blush:

1 Like

Now playing…

Manu Katché - Third Round

Manu Katché (Drums), Tore Brunborg (Soprano Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone), Jason Rebello (Piano, Fender Rhodes), Pino Palladino (Bass), Jacob Young (Guitars) and Kami Lyle (Vocal, Trumpet).

Streaming on Qobuz (88.2/24)… spending some time this afternoon with Manu and his sextet and they are sounding sublime! Love the opening track ‘Swing Piece’ it is mighty sweet…

8 Likes

Now playing…

Manu Katché - Touchstone For Manu

Manu Katché (Drums), Jan Garbarek (Tenor Saxophone), Tomasz Stanko (Trumpet), Marcin Wasilewski (Piano), Slawomir Kurkiewicz (Double Bass), Trygve Seim (Tenor Saxophone), Mathias Eick (Trumpet), Jacob Young (Guitar), Pino Palladino (Bass), Jason Rebello (Piano), Jim Watson (Piano, Hammond B3 Organ), Tore Brunborg (Saxophones, Tenor Saxophone) and Nils Petter Molvaer (Trumpet, Loops).

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… continuing on this evening with Manu Katché’s ‘Touchstone For Manu’ album and what could be better than listening to Manu with 12 talented musicians joining him on these 11 tracks.
The music is sounding absolutely sublime! …a beautiful album.

7 Likes

Natalie Merchant, Ophelia. :smiling_face:

19 Likes

Kacey MusGraves, golden hour. :smiling_face:

17 Likes

Al Green I Can’t Stop

13 Likes

Muddy Waters Rock Me

12 Likes

“Birdland Variations” uses its memorable melodic theme, breaks it down to its essences, and rebuilds it radically without losing the hook. Its notion of time is stretched, with one drummer playing 3/4 while the other swings in 4/4, leaving the saxes free to decide whom to follow. His wah-wah expressionism bridges all four players and he delves into funk as Esen’s keys illuminate the interior and color the margins.

Vitous uses familiar WR themes in his own three “Multi Dimension Blues” interludes that bind these tunes together.

The reading of Wayne Shorter’s “Pinocchio” (first recorded on Miles DavisNefertiti in 1967, then in 1978 on WR’s Mr. Gone), juxtaposes Vitous’ effects-laden arco playing along with a soprano and tenor sax engagement that relays the primary melody in elemental statements. Esen reconstructs the harmony using fragmentary notions in striking progressions.

Vitous’ tenure with WR is reflected in “Seventh Arrow” (captured in studio on their 1971 self-titled debut and in concert on 1972’s Live in Tokyo). This version is closer to the latter, offering a forceful exchange between drummers and head-to-head conversation from the saxophonists. Esen and Vitous crack open color and textural palettes from the inside, illuminating both poles.

“Morning Lake” is darker than its 1971 original, as ambient synth swirls, shimmering Rhodes, and skittering alternate drum patterns create its elusive spine. Intermittent interplay between horns offers modal melodic fragments. The bassist’s wah-wah pedal is the pulse. The piece floats, simmers, and eventually explodes with the sample of a thunderstorm to close.

While WR’s rock and funk fans may require a couple of listens to find the grooves, they are certainly there. Jazz fans should readily embrace The Music of Weather Report as top-flight 21st century fusion, rife with canny improvisation by an excellent group with an inspired leader.

4 Likes

Nirvana MTV Unplugged in NY.

17 Likes

A very enjoyable funky jam.

10 Likes

Paul Simon Gracelands

36 Likes

A Steven Wilson I haven’t listened to before is first this morning.

2011’s Grace for Drowning

11 Likes

Well that was far too twiddly for waking up too.
Switched to P!nk and Trustfall

3 Likes

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland - CD

On the 16th Nov 1968 Jimi and the Experience went to No.1 on the US album chart with their third and final studio album ‘Electric Ladyland’

31 Likes

some recent arrivals

Don’t think I had this album when younger, but enjoying it now.

10 Likes

and this

Didn’t get all the way through so will start again at the beginning

4 Likes

Enjoying on Vinyl…Tin Pan Alley …just fabulous the way the guitar hangs in the air :+1:

25 Likes

Just arrived in the Cabin after doing the Dishwasher, my only chore today…:blush:
Just went onto Qobuz releases and spotted this and thought, ‘…when was the last time I listened to ANY New Order…:thinking:

Easily remedied :grin:

22 Likes

I didn’t know that Charlie had a musician daughter.

1 Like