What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Must say that didn’t sound as I thought it might - back to Gazza

Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle

Ah that’s better……

13 Likes

200g Classic Records version.

7 Likes

The Orb: Prism

Another fine release from The Orb that I’ve (mistakenly) mostly overlooked this year.

9 Likes

There have been several Beach Boys box sets and multiple compilations since this was released in the early 90s.

This does sound fantastic across all five discs.

Good Vibrations: Thirty Years Of The Beach Boys.

7 Likes

Juliana Hatfield Sings ELO

Thanks @johnt for bringing this one to my attention. I’m always disappointed when tribute albums sound like karaoke versions of the original. These are really strong songs, often instantly familiar, brilliantly and sympathetically reinterpreted.

5 Likes

3 Likes

7 Likes

Lemonheads: It’s a Shame About Ray

11 Likes

Yeah it does show noticeably in the Aretha scene

Feuerschwanz, live at Wacken 2022. Haha, thank God so many concerts are available on YouTube. Fun indeed. :blush:

4 Likes

Radiohead
OK Computer

19 Likes

Mine was a Christmas present from my parents in 1977. First record I ever got, now getting on for half a century old, and still in regular rotation. I should be grateful it hasn’t fallen completely to bits :sweat_smile:

I occasionally think of “retiring” it in favour of a minty copy - there are plenty on Discogs, and for not much money :thinking:. Or maybe Atlantic will release a 50th anniversary edition in July 2027?

2 Likes

Nice story Corry with being your first record it makes the album special.
I was 13 at the time in 1977 and was really lucky to have school friends who had older brothers and one friends older brother was 15 and had loads of Zeppelin and Yes also loads of punk albums like The Sex Pistols - Strangers also Reggae like Bob Marley and Steel Pulse.So was listening to great new exciting music at a young age .

I used to love record shops and going through the racks and the albums art work and the intriuge of the music within.I always remember Supertramps Breakfast In America was always in the racks in 77 @ 78.

Going back to Going For The One.It was quite unique being a triple fold out sleeve.
I got a CD copy last year which sounded good.
I suppose that was the magic of vinyl looking back the tactile feel ,artwork,walking home with a couple of albums in say a carrier bag from the shop .
I remember going to London from Brighton and doing all the big stores like Tower Records and Virgin and HMV and if I didn’t come back with less than 5 albums it would have been a wasted buying trip.

I dont stream but a friend does on Roon and its very impressive with the sheer choice.
But I do find it lacks the magic of vinyl but as a convenience format its great

Wishing you a good day. Enjoy

7 Likes

The 2003 remaster of Going For The One has 7 extra tracks recorded at the sessions for the album.

3 Likes

For you Corry and Andy
That triple fold out inner sleeve
To me it dovetailed the music beautifully
I think it was recorded in Switzerland

6 Likes

At Mountain Studios Montreux. Bought by Queen a few years after the Yes recording.

For my money this is the best Yes album.

2 Likes

I’ve been dipping into the rehashed Budokan concert, so it led to some earlier, and magnificent Bob.

John Wesley Harding/Bob Dylan (SACD).

16 Likes

Interesting album sleeve - with The Beatles in the trees and the guys who are with Dylan. I always thought they were the musicians on the album. And the white hat at the bottom of the image.

2 Likes

I’ve compared again the MMT version of Walrus with the new version on the Blue Album. While liking the overall cleaner mix, I can’t understand, nor accept, why they’ve changed the ending. This is too radical a change in my view, like chiseling out new text on the Rosetta Stone! I can only hope (in vain, no doubt) that they restore the original when the MMT album is fully remixed and remastered.

5 Likes

Peter Tork and Shoe Suede Blues - Step by Step. Came to this while looking for alternate versions of Sally Go Round the Roses, after getting a little bit obsessed with the Third Mind version. Some decent blues from the ex-Monkee.

5 Likes