What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Sonia Tetlow - From a Seed of Sand

4 Likes

This is a family show :smiley:

1 Like

Well when filling in your profile the minimum age is 18

1 Like

Various Artists. See for miles sampler.
Another thing I like about ripping my collection to the Core is rediscovering albums I’d forgotten about.
This gem was released in 1991 for 99p
Fantastic collection of songs mostly from the 60s and some early stuff from the likes of Steve Howe and Bon Scott.

10 Likes

A faithful recreation of the (in)famous 1966 Manchester Free Trade Hall concert. A great recording that captures the ambience and performance well. Scott Bauer’s review in the Independent concludes : “While remaining faithful to the songs and the live arrangements, she shines a light on Dylan’s genius and the beauty of the music nearly 60 years after the original concert, while leaving her own mark.”

11 Likes

Great choice Andy. As you know I always play it on a regular basis back to back with the debut. I have most of his albums so must move on and play his third for a change.(Watermark)

2 Likes

How long does it take? Sounds like quite a chore, no?

On CD:-

Anton Bruckner - Symphony No. 4 “Romantic” - Otto Klemperer - The Philharmonia Orchestra

11 Likes

Ahmad Jamal Crystal / 1987 Atlantic / US CD / 817932

Excellent AJ music and sound recording, making full use of all 88 keys throughout!

8 Likes

It’s a labour of love. The actual ripping is very quick. I read that someone recently ripped 80 in a day.
My problem is that I am fussy and like to log everything but I actually enjoy the process and as I said it has prompted me to play excellent albums that have unaccountably been gathering dust.

3 Likes

An enjoyable soundtrack. Features an extended version of Booker Ts ‘Time is Tight’ which The Clash covered on their 10” vinyl, Black Market Clash. Side 2 of Black Market Clash is peerless I think.

5 Likes

Just heard the news that Jamaican artist Neville Garrick passed on. He did much of the artwork for Bob Marley albums and other artists along with amazing concert backdrops and other works

Nice article here…

From ‘Blackheart Man’ to ‘Legend’: 20 Million Records Sold With Neville Garrick’s Album Covers

RIP & Respect due!
:heart:

So probably at least a fortnight’s full time job to rip just a 1000, that does sound like too much of a chore for me

There’s pleasure in handling the albums, reading the notes, remembering when/why you bought stuff etc. I’d always intended to upload just those albums which weren’t available on Qobuz but having decided to bite the completist bullet I’m glad I did. And as you say it prompts you to play stuff you might otherwise have ignored. It’s going to be a long job but well worth it I think.

2 Likes

Only if you’re working to a timetable or a deadline.
I usually do about 10 at a time when I want a distraction from other things.

Nice vibes!

6 Likes

It’s not my favourite version, I’d also go with Pentangle, but if you haven’t heard it Grace Slick’s version with The Great Society (before she joined Airplane) is haunting and worth a listen.

2 Likes

I agree. I know a lot of people like to rip them and then box away in this loft but I like to file them conveniently where I can if I want refer to the cover and /or booklet when streaming.
Anyway back to the music.
Art Blakey. Moanin’.
On the kitchen HomePod while I do things.

18 Likes

It would take me forevor

1 Like

Van Morrison, Accentuate The Positive. Qobuz.

12 Likes