What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

A piece popped up on social media the other day about Hot Tuna. It seems that Kaukomen and Cassidy are still doing their thing…. so I thought I would give this one a spin after manny many years. It won’t be many many years before its on again :guitar: :guitar:

5 Likes

The Beatles: Revolver. Interesting to start listening to everything again with the upgraded system. New discoveries…

26 Likes

Beverly Kenny, come swing with me. :smiling_face:

4 Likes

Enjoying these jazzy beats

4 Likes

I know what you mean. I am only a few days in with a wall bracket for my LP12 and I’m discovering a whole new extension to music that I have known for years!

1 Like

@Neil-26 a music mad friend of mine put me on to him last week so I gave it a listen. Quite enjoyed it, some great lyrics. Perhaps a bit like John Grant? And if you have a song that says it never rains in Manchester then you know there’s a sense of humour in there :slightly_smiling_face:

Karen Dalton - In My Own Time

Beautiful documentary on BBC iplayer.

IMG_8291

5 Likes

…. And now for something completely different… Jefferson Airplane: Bless its pointed little head. Live in 1968, and it sounds live! It’s great. It’s got the same energy of Jerry Lee Lewis live at the Star Club in Hamburg in 64, and I’d say Ac/Dc If you want blood. You feel like you’re at the gig! :sunglasses:

11 Likes

U2, War. It’s time to pick up the pace and volume. :wink:

20 Likes

I have been listening to quite a bit of 70’s recently, so a bit of 2021 with Yard Act, The Overload.

7 Likes

Yes, I think there is perhaps a touch of John Grant about the BC Camplight album.

1 Like

Chris Rea - The Blue Cafe.

12 Likes

Manu Katché - Neighbourhood. A wonderful collection of some of ECM’s finest artists.

7 Likes

Bedtimes tunes for @QuickSticks

Blackfield - Blackfield

:wink: :+1:

10 Likes

Decided to go for one more……

Can’t stop playing this……

Vince Clarke - Songs Of Silence

Superb - My album of the year so far……

9 Likes

Enjoying…

this latest offering from Thea Gilmore.

Presumably like many of us ‘elders’ on the Forum I was introduced to this expressive talent through her Naim Label album “The Lipstick Conspiracies” (046) which was memorable for the edgy and direct lyrics being her second album released in 2000. I still have it somewhere in my CD collection.

Twenty-three years (and eighteen albums!) later, this album entitled with her real name is a striking release of introspection, life reflection and a maturity of vocals that is refreshingly serious yet captivating in its delivery.

If you get passed the first track (which appears to apply some vocal distortion) then you will be rewarded with some reflective lyrics, good tunes and a decent recording.

Stand out tracks for me include: angelic ‘Bones’, ‘The Next Time You Win’, ‘Talking Out Of Tune’ and the wonderful ‘The Bright Service’.

Enjoy…

Sublime
Qobuz 24/44.1
ERA-1s

10 Likes

@Adam1 - nice account of how you discovered Ben’s music those years ago, thanks. A great musical talent and thanks for the album recommendation which I’ll be taking up soon.

Best
Julian

And that’s why this forum is so great… I’d never heard of Thea, but was intrigued by your post. I’m now four tracks in and loving it! Thanks Julian…

1 Like
1 Like

Electric Light Orchestra: A New World Record

With hindsight, I think this one was peak ELO.

20 Likes