What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

The Lionel Hampton Quintet The Lionel Hampton Quintet / 2001 Verve / Germany CD / 5891002

Lionel Hampton Vibraphone
Oscar Peterson Piano
Ray Brown Bass
Buddy DeFranco Clarinet
Buddy Rich Drums

7 Likes

I decided that Rebekka Bakken “Looked Interesting”.
Listening to her now and really enjoying this album - thanks for the suggestion @ewemon

1 Like

Till Brönner Midnight / 2009 Verve / Germany CD / 06025 2706791

Till Brönner Trumpet, Flugelhorn
Michael Brecker Saxophone
Anthony Jackson Bass
David Mann Flute, Saxophone
George Whitty Keyboards
Dean Brown, Jim Tunnel Guitar
Manolo Badrena Percussion
Dennis Chambers Drums

Second spin of a Christmas gift - very enjoyable and I am pleased to add it to the collection.

7 Likes

Yes, on the list, particularly because it’s the nearfield system I’m thinking of upgrading. :+1:

1 Like

I rate this and Roxy as his best.

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band. 2X Vinyl. Live 1975. ( Nine Tonight Live from 1981 is also great imho.)

“…however, the entire ‘Live’ Bullet recording captured a Detroit artist at the height of his energy and creativity, in front of a highly appreciative hometown crowd. 'Live’ Bullet also captured the wild and free spirit of rock concerts in the seventies, and has great historic value in that regard.” WIKI.

9 Likes

Yellowjackets Cohearence / 2016 Mack Avenue / US CD / MAC1108

Russell Ferrante Piano, Synths
Bob Mintzer Saxophones, Flute
Dane Alderson Bass
William Kennedy Drums

First play of this Christmas gift from my children - sounding mighty fine!

7 Likes

This came today, thanks to Santa.

3 Likes

For years we’ve been asking each other “Is that a Sears [fill in the blank] or a Mexican ______.” Another “Montana” pun.

I suppose that’s a sign of being with the right partner – sharing a childish sense of humor!

2 Likes

Some nice cool tunes while I do a spot of record cleaning.
Duke Special, Songs From the Deep Forest.

5 Likes

Beatles 1968. Old Vinyl. A lot of this is brilliant. Some of it is not. Lack of editorial control imho, Lol.

12 Likes

Jazz In Britain 2CD

8 Likes

The Dave Brubeck Quartet Jazz Impressions Of Japan / 2009 Columbia / Austria CD / 88697491952

Dave Brubeck Piano
Paul Desmond Alto Saxophone
Eugene Wright Bass
Joe Morello Drums

First play of another Christmas gift from my children - great music and recording.

11 Likes

At Mrs VV request, who is currently reading Bernie Taupin’s autobiography.

On this day 1973 this was the number 1 UK album

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

25 Likes

Tom Waits, Alice.

9 Likes

John Lennon - Double Fantasy - CD

John and Yoko’s Double Fantasy album started an eight-week run at No.1 on the US chart. ‘Just Like Starting Over’ started a five-week stay at No.1 on the singles chart.

14 Likes

I’m a big fan of The Duke

3 Likes

I have never been much of an Eagles fan over the years, but Mrs M has been. My appreciation for them has changed though, firstly influenced by seeing them live in Dublin years ago and now by being on here.

Being part of this group has been hugely influential, not just for the Naim appreciation but also appreciation for music.

I was hoking through her old LPs and deary me most are in a sorry state! To many parties in her younger days, self confessed I might add! However there are a few that are in surprisingly good condition and this is one of them. It’s an early pressing and sounds great! Sadly the same cannot be said for her copy of The Long Run.

14 Likes

Ahh, thats great Andy. When I posted this up I wasn’t sure how many of you guys had heard of him :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Taylor Swift - Fearless - CD

Having a day playing number one albums, this is one of them, if I need to have an excuse.

At the end of 2008 Taylor started a seven-week run at No.1 on the US album charts with Fearless. The album was the best-selling album of 2009, making Swift, 18 at the time of the album’s release, the youngest artist to have the best-selling album of a calendar year. The album is certified diamond by RIAA and has sold over 7.18 million copies so far.

4 Likes