What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Playing this ….again. So good

11 Likes

**A nice sunday song while staring out of the window watching the snow

1 Like

Special to still hear them, while Barenboim’s health is now very fragile, most probably the last time we saw these two live….sad

9 Likes

11 Likes

‘So’ – Peter Gabriel

Picked up a new half speed remaster of this classic LP for £14.99 yesterday to replace my existing crinkly and warped reissue.

Passed it through the Degritter RCM on a medium cycle before the first play. It’s the quietest vinyl I’ve heard to date. Wonderful.

26 Likes

Feeding an earworm i woke up with.

9 Likes

Jonny Lang - Wander This World

11 Likes

61DLHI4JufL.AC
Jools Holland & his Rhythm & Blues Orchestra - Hop The Wag.

7 Likes

Started with Tasmin Little
Brahms Violin Sonatas

Moved onto Melody Gardot - Random play from Qobuz

12 Likes

3 Likes

16 Likes

For his guitar work have you tried the albums Shut Up ‘n Play Yer Guitar, and the simply named Guitar? FZ solo guitar pieces largely taken from live performances, with some Zappa humour as @AndyP warned.

4 Likes

Judy to add, me thinks, what is very distinctive to Zappa’s music is also his humour and irreverence. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Most of the time I share your view, Frank’s music ain’t Frank without the schoolboy humour and irreverence. But I have times when listening (to albums I know well and love) when I just think “Oh God, grow up!”, then the next listen I’ll be back to getting it.
I’d say it was a sign of ageing, but it’s been true since I started listening to him 40 years ago.

2 Likes

I will delve deeper….thx, great to cu back

My thoughts too. Maybe that’s why I only ever bought one FZ album.

Agree, Zappa is very much marmite but, just like you, I’ve been listening to his music for nearly half a century but never tire of his musical prowess and he offers no excuse for his “sense of humor”. One of my favourite songs is “The Torture Never Stops” from Zoot Allures. I guess you have to be a hardwired fan to listen and enjoy it whilst others might cringe. Love the man, but then again I refuse to grow up!:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Richie Blackmore’s Rainbow - Tidal 16/44
A flashback to my youth, sadly I didn’t see the lineup with Ronnie James Dio on the vocals, but saw the later incarnation several times. I had this album at college, when your collection runs to not many more than 20 records you listen to them all a lot (as well as your mates’ similarly sized collections when crashing at theirs). So 40 years on I still know every note, word and sound on the album. Even allowing for nostalgia and familiarity I think it’s a great folk-tinged hard rock album, Dio was a fantastic rock singer, Blackmore knew his way round an axe, the songs are a great mix of folk ballad and hard rock belters.

12 Likes

8 Likes

CD rip:

5 Likes