What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Prince4Ever

He makes some amazing sounds as do the backing musicians. It’s hard to get it sounding great, but certainly is today.

Phil

11 Likes

25 Likes

Now playing…

Keb’ Mo’ Oklahoma

Keb’ Mo’ (Bass, Dobro, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Steel Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, National Steel Guitar, Percussion, Shaker, Vocals), Samuel Alexander (Hammond B3, Keyboards, Wurlitzer), Cremaine Booker (Cello), Robbie Brooks-Moore (Handclapping, Vocals), Rosanne Cash (Vocals), Nickie Conley (Vocals), Corrie Covell (Violin), Jason Eskridge (Vocals), Marcus Finnie (Drums), Jim Hoke (Accordion, Wurlitzer), Scotty Huff (Trumpet), DeMarco Johnson (Hammond B3), Emily Kohavi Viola), Andy Leftwich (Violin), Melvin Maestro Lightford (String Arrangements), Colin Linden (Electric Guitar, Mandolin), Taj Mahal (Bass, Vocals), Carter Moore (Handclapping, Vocals), Moiba Mustapha (Vocals), Emily Nelson (Cello), Michael O’Gieblyn (Violin), Jovan Quallo (Saxophone), Eric Ramey (Bass), Robert Randolph (Lap Steel Guitar), David Rodgers (Keyboards, Wurlitzer), Joshua Scalf (Trombone), Keio Stroud (Drums), Chester Thompson (Drums), Dara Tucker (Handclapping, Vocals), Jaci Velasquez (Vocals) and Emoni Wilkins (Vocals).

Streaming on Qobuz (88.2/24)… continuing on this morning with ‘Keb Mo’ and he and this very talented group of musicians are sounding sublime! One sweet album…

21 Likes

Joe Satriani - The Elephants of Mars - 2022

4 Likes

Eating dinner and it’s time for a CD which went ‘missing’ (wrongly filed - doh!).

Melody Gardot, My One And Only Thrill, from c.2009. Wonderful smouldering (jazzy) vocals, with great & balanced backings, which keep her voice to the fore. Reproduction is also very good. My favourite Melody album. Highly recommended - I think she’s already tagged as a Forum favourite.

22 Likes

13 Likes

Now playing…

Keb’ Mo’ - Good To Be…

Keb’ Mo’ (Bass, Congas, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Nylon String Guitar, Steel Guitar, Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, Percussion, Resonator, Vocals, Wurlitzer), Monisa Angell (Viola), Carrie Bailey (Violin), Lendell Black (Piano, String Arrangements), Robbie Brooks-Moore (Vocals), Tom Bukovac (Electric Guitar), Kristin Chenoweth (Vocals), Janet Darnall (Violin), Steve Dorff (Keyboards, Piano), Nathan East (Bass), Conni Ellisor (Violin), Marcus Finnie (Drums), Paul Franklin (Pedal Steel Guitar), Vince Gill (Acoustic Guitar, Harmonia, Resonator, Vocals), Tom Hambridge (Drums), Steve Herrmann (Trumpet), Mike Hicks Fender Rhodes, Hammond B3, Piano, Electric Piano, Vocals, Wurlitzer), Christone Kingfish Ingram (Electric Guitar), Anthony La Marchina (Cello), Phil Madeira (Hammond B3, Piano), Bob McChesney (Trombone), Marcus Miller (Bass), Greg Morrow (Drums), Gordon Mote (Hammond B3, Wurlitzer), Wendy Moten (Vocals), Moiba Mustapha (Vocals), Paul Nelson (Cello), Anton Nesbitt (Bass), Jimmy Nichols (Hammond B3, Wurlitzer), Rip Patton (Vocals), Jerry Pentecost (Percussion, Vocals), Robert Price (Guitar, Vocals), Sari Reist (Cello), Dana Robbins (Saxophone), Darius Rucker (Vocals), Ketch Secor (Fiddle, Harp, Vocals), Doctah Sirius (Congas, Percussion), Keio Stroud (Drums), Akil Thompson (Bass, Electric Guitar), Chester Thompson Drums), Wei Tsun Chang (Violin), Mary Kathryn Van Osdale (Violin), Casey Wasner (Vocals), Emoni Wilkins (Vocals), Kristin Wilkinson (Violin), Katie Williams (Vocals), Karen Winkelmann (Violin), Victor Wooten (Bass) and Cory Younts (Piano)

Streaming on Qobuz (88.2/24)… continuing on this morning with another beautiful album from Keb’ Mo’ and his talented group of musicians and they are sounding sublime! A wonder 2022 album release…

18 Likes

Thomas Dolby - Aliens Ate My Buick - 1988

A bit like the Prefab’s and Scritti, just SO 80’s, and wonderfully produced of course.

15 Likes

Deaf School - ‘Don’t Stop The World’ (1977). Nice album from the talented and unique Deaf School. This second album was a bit more ‘new wave’ in style in places (Hypertension yeah, yeah, yeah), not surprising as it came out during the early punk rock era. All I think done with tongue firmly in cheek! My standout track is ‘Taxi’ which was issued as a single and was a ‘Peel’s Big 45’ on the John Peel show at the time. Great cover too if you have it on vinyl as the inside sleeve looks like this!

4 Likes

The Band, The Last Waltz

12 Likes

Paul Weller

Modern Classics - The Greatest Hits

Edward

11 Likes

You should join @QuickSticks and I in the Back room :wink:

2 Likes

Shawn Colvin, Live – on CD from c.2009.

Sometimes, less is far more, and there’s not much less than Shawn & her guitar.

8 Likes

Alela Diane, looking glass. :relaxed:

9 Likes

Would do if I could find it…… :wink:

I was in a well-known record store on Saturday and a fellow browser just randomly approached me and started a conversation about this album. This is one of the benefits of physical media since you have a trigger, but sadly I had to leave after 5 mins. So, I’m listening to this on Qobuz, since I’m a multi-source kind of person, and I absolutely love this. I could see this potentially coming up really well on vinyl.

13 Likes

I once ended up having a long conversation with Vic Cocker, Joe’s brother. Very different I’m sure but I found Vic to be a tremendous character in his own right - very relaxed, friendly, fun and relatable. He was Chairman of Severn Trent at the time and joked that Joe had bought a small water company of his own so he could tell Vic he was also a water company chairman.

Goldfrapp, tales of us. :relaxed:

20 Likes

The Rolling Stones - Rarities 1971 - 2003.

13 Likes

Associates - Sulk - 1982 (40th anniversary)
61-3Eyjz++L.SY1000

8 Likes