What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

I love this thread, lots of opportunity to find something new and interesting or remind of a classic passed over for too long…. These days it’s probably as close most get to browsing in Virgin, HMV, Tower or local independent shops (although I’m sure some still do, where they still exist). Personally I’ve discovered so much here and in the streaming age that’s so easy to investigate further, which may lead to a purchase.

As the thread title suggests, ‘and why would anyone be interested’ is always helpful, nobody can listen to everything on here so a little guidance on genre, scope, feel is great. Some do this very well, thank you to all of you.

So a gentle nudge in the direction of those who don’t comment, you help everyone with just a little commentary, even if it’s just why you love it!

(Polite) rant over…. :wink:

15 Likes

SWMBO at singing, so time to dig out the coal and fire up the 252.

This one of my favourites from 2021 in hi res. Deeply personal lyrics, beautifully recorded.

I just love it when the second LED on the nDAC lights up, you know you’re in for something special.

3 Likes

Now playing…

Andrea Motis - do outro lado do azul

Andrea Motis (Vocals, Trumpet, Soprano Saxophone), Gabriel Amargant (Clarinet, Tenor Saxophone), Joan Chamorro (Double Bass), Martin Heinzle (Double Bass), Esteve Pi (Drums), Josep Traver (Electric Guitar, Flamenco Guitar), Carla Motis (Electric Guitar, Vocals), Ignasi Terraza (Piano), Fernando Del Papa (Vocals, Cavaquinho), Mathieu “tétéu” Guilemant (Vocals, Guitar), Sérgio Krakowski (Vocals, Pandeiro) and Christoph Mallinger (Vocals, Violin, Mandolin).

Streaming on Qobuz (48/24)… returning from a quick grocery store errand with my wife and continuing on this morning and continuing with an album from Andrea and she and her talented backing musicians are sounding sweet! I took this out for the first time last week and enjoyed her music so giving another spin.

5 Likes

I greatly regret to inform you that the Brahms Fourth Symphony was the only music by Brahms that Carlos Kleiber ever recorded for LP/CD. There is (or at least there used to be) a Deutsche Grammophon DVD of him conducting Brahms’ Second Symphony in a concert in Munich, but I think that it was deleted from the catalogue some time ago.

1 Like

Anaïs Mitchell, self titled album. :relaxed:

12 Likes

Trigger Hippy - Trigger Hippy
CD|2014

Folk rock. Joan Osborne is one of the lead vocalists.

3 Likes

First up for this evening

strong text

1 Like

2nd disc this evening and sounds good

13 Likes

Gary Clark Jr. - Blak And Blu.

11 Likes

This one is described as “indie electronic”.

Quite ambient in many respects, but it will certainly give your bass drivers a workout.

4 Likes

Just felt like hearing his voice, unmistakable.

7 Likes

1 Like

Ashley Monroe, like a rose. :relaxed:

7 Likes

Quincy Jones, Back On The Block – on CD from c.1990

Some might regard as an updated ‘The Dude’ (but nowhere near as good), with BOTB being more electro-funk/pop from the 1980s (multi-tracking galore), with a roster of luminary artistes. Overtones, at times, of watching Miami Vice!

Can be had for buttons from re-sellers and worth a listen IMV.

7 Likes

The Uncle Devil Show - A Terrible Beauty

Wonderfully crafted songs. Beautiful melodies and the lyrics…

I was in love with Gilbert O’Sullivan
But she was hung up on Cat Stevens and Donovan
So when I had to lump for one of them
I chose Mr O’Sullivan

I was in love with Gilbert O’Sullivan
But she dug the cool jazz of Gerry Mulligan
So if I had to shoot one and f**k the other one
I’d choose Mr O’Sullivan

5 Likes

3 Likes

Didn’t like when I got a preview last year.

I believe we will hopefully get something from him sometime this year. Well I hope so anyway.

2 Likes

Gary Moore - Dirty Fingers - 1983

His first few albums don’t seem to be acknowledged like the later ‘bluesy’ phase. This one was recorded in 1980 then shelved.
It made me realise Eddie Van Halen had competition at last.

8 Likes

This one rated best Rap album of 2022 by The Daily Telegraph.

Finally checking it out. Glad I did. Interesting modern arrangements with orchestral and gospel elements interspersed with beats and lyrical pacing reminiscent of 90s hip-hop.

If this type of music is at all your thing then this one comes highly recommended.

An absolute banger.

4 Likes