What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

The latest PIL release and wait for it

The new Public Image Ltd. (PiL) song Hawaii is one of the 6 songs in the competition on February 3 to choose the Irish entry for the Eurovision Song Contest later this year.

8 Likes

Sounds like Marxism Today rating the best hedge fund investment opportunities.

3 Likes

A few trax off this set due out April

9 Likes

Somewhat of an oxymoron.

I approached it with trepidation but was well rewarded.

1 Like

Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris, all the roadrunning. :relaxed:

11 Likes

Now playing…

Bill Callahan & Bonnie Prince Billy - Blind Date Party

Bill Callahan (Handclapping, Harmonica, Vocals), Bonnie “Prince” Billy (Vocals), Ben Chasny (Bass, Drum, Vocals), Sean Sylvester Drake 61 (Vocals), Joshua Abrams (Bass), Elisa Ambrogio (Vocals), Evan Backer (Drums, Bass Guitar), Meg Baird (Guitar, Vocals), Cassie Berman (Bass, Acoustic Guitar, Vocals), Richard Bishop (Acoustic Guitar), Cooper Crain (Organ), Tony Crow (Keyboards), Jacob Duncan (Woodwind), Haley Fohr (Vocals), Rob Frye (Tenor Saxophone), David Grubbs (Electric Guitar, Handclapping, Organ, Vocals), Cory Hanson (Guitar, Vocals), Emmett Kelly (Drums, Guitar, Synthesizer, Vocals), Danny Kiely (Bass), Matt Kinsey (Vocals), Brian Kotzur (Drums), Heather Lockie (Viola), Bill MacKay (Bass, Acoustic Guitar, Requinto, Vocals), Drew Miller (Saxophone), Cheyenne Mize (Fiddle, Vocals), Tyler Nuffer (Steel Guitar), Livy O’Hagan (Vocals), Sean O’Hagan (Vocals), Elsa Madeline Oldham (Jew’s-Harp), Will Oldham (Synthesizer, Vocals), David Pajo (Guitar, Vocals), Todd Rittman (Bass, Drums, Guitar, Vocals), Alasdair Roberts (Cello, Drum Programming, Guitar, Synthesizer, Vocals), Charlie Saufley (Guitar), Greg Sweeney (Drums), Matt Sweeney (Guitar, Vocals), Mick Turner (Vocals), George Xylouris (Bells, Bouzouki, Drums, Laouto, Lute, Lyre, Vocals) and Azita Youssefi (Vocals).

Streaming on Qobuz (48/24)… continuing on this afternoon with Bill and Bonnie Prince Billy along with a large group of supporting musicians and the music is sounding mighty fine!

7 Likes

Courtney Marie Andrews – Loose Future
CD|2022

folk. first listen. a few tracks in and enjoying it so far.

12 Likes

Nowhere to hide on a live recording as a vocalist.

She doesn’t need to hide, she shines.

6 Likes

Heather Small, Proud - on CD from c.2000.

Lead singer of M-People and has a fantastic voice IMHO but, IIRC, this album doesn’t showcase her voice to its fullest, as it’s often overcome by the thick mixing. Another album which can be had for buttons (95p!) from re-sellers – how can you go wrong!

4 Likes

Ah, the brilliant Justin Currie, not an album to be played in mixed company :grinning:

2 Likes

And the equally and overlooked Kevin McDermott.

2 Likes

Changed my mind on choice of disc after @AndyP 's last post, so now spinning

Justin Currie - What Is Love For, solo album from the Del Amitri frontman.

4 Likes

This is the other half of The Uncle Devil Show.

A fantastic album.

4 Likes

Hi all - not been around for a while! Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, would be interested if you have? Music was always something I could turn to when things got me down and helped to turn things round, but just lately all it’s done is made things worse! After losing my mother about 5 years ago (although in many ways it felt longer as she had dementia and had long since forgotten who I was) and more recently my dad has had a major fall, then went into hospital after a suspected stroke and has since had covid then pneumonia - and is now back in hospital after a definite stroke, everything I seemed to listen that in the past had helped me get through things just made me feel worse! So I stopped - trying again tonight here’s hoping - just put the Core on random - wish me luck….

By the way - not after sympathy - just hope I’ve not fallen out of love with music - if such a thing is possible!

Also just “found” this band - probably not on too many peoples radar but I think they may be helping!

11 Likes

Apparently, he escaped serious injuries last year, as yobs dropped a concrete slab on his head in an “ambush”, whilst he was out riding his electric scooter. Claimed his helmut saved his life :unamused:

2 Likes

Been there, some time life takes turns to the dark side and alters perception and the enjoyment of the day to day activities we could turn too for relief. My experience is it comes full cycle when/if our lives return to a more normal routine.

Best wishes for you and your family currently impacted to return to some form of normalcy in the days ahead.

4 Likes

Last for the evening - Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa - Live In Amsterdam from 2014.

Blues rock par excellence from the hyper dynamic duo, with Beth’s voice the primary instrument. Very well recorded, with fantastic backings – some very deep drumming going on here.

14 Likes

Thanks for that - I’ve often said that life seems to run in circles - just hope things return to “normal” at some stage?

The Core has just thrown this out - is it a sign? Jupiter - the Bringer of Jollity!

12 Likes

Andrea Motis, colours and shadows. Thank you @seakayaker for introducing me to her work! :relaxed:

6 Likes

Wishing you and yours nothing but the best. :pray: