What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Oooo… that looks interesting. Gonna give that a try next :blush:

You prompted me to dig out my vinyl version. It’s quite different to “The Dude”, which I also have, which I think is more in line with the stuff he was doing with Wacko and Patti Austin etc. BOTB seems more varied, experimental and less poppy but some great moments imho. As you say, quite a cast of players.

WIKI: " The album features legendary musicians and singers from across three generations, including Ella Fitzgerald, Miles Davis, Joe Zawinul, Ice-T, Big Daddy Kane, Sarah Vaughan, Dizzy Gillespie, George Benson, Luther Vandross, Dionne Warwick, Barry White, Chaka Khan, Take 6, Bobby McFerrin, Al Jarreau, Al B. Sure!, James Ingram, El DeBarge, Ray Charles and a 12-year-old Tevin Campbell."

Quincy_Jones_-_Back_On_The_Block-front

9 Likes

I like both the Quincy albums Dude and Back On The Block, less so your tabloidy reference to “Wacko”.
:heart:

2 Likes

I’d say many parts of BOTB are a collage of sounds – and, in many respects, it’s a shame some of the artiste slots are almost reduced to backings/being sampled from other albums(?) – Difficult to categorise for me but, as you say, some great moments (e.g. Birdland).

2 Likes

Dry Cleaning - Stumpwork

This is frequently on my play list recently, discovering new nuances with each play whilst smiling at the vocal presentation and lyrics.

Difficult to classify but Roon suggests indie rock and post punk. Not sure I’d call it either. Not sure about the cover either, a bit yuk but that’s art I guess.

Mostly based on throttled back but frenetic electric guitar grooves, soft drums, bass, with spoken female vocal monologues over and the mix to me is strange but captivating.

8 Likes

Folder
An old LP but still good, with Dizzy’s unmistakable sound, with some big names

Dizzy Gillespie (t)
Claudio Roditi (t)
Flora Purim (voc)
Slide Hampton, Steve Turre (tr)
Mario Rivera (s)
Arturo Sandoval (t), (flug)
Danilo Perez (p)
Airto Moreira (per)
Ed Cherry (g)
James Moody (s) (fl)
Paquito D’Rivera (as) (cl)
John Lee (b)
Ignacio Berroa (d)

8 Likes

Rita Coolidge, anytime… anywhere. :relaxed:

5 Likes

Why not. Quincy Jones. 1981 Vinyl.

12 Likes

Cannonball Adderley With Milt Jackson Things Are Getting Better / 2006 Riverside / EU CD / 0025218603225

13 Likes

Does the Hercules power supply let you play at 33RPM and 45RPM?

Apologies - I think that I’ve asked this before.

Puccini Suor Angelica
Katia Ricciarelli and Fiorenza Cossoto, Bruno Bartoletti cond. Lovely.
Picked this up years ago for the princely sum of £5.50.

3 Likes

Mine does… :slightly_smiling_face:
Mose Hercules II

Superb……

7 Likes

Dire Straits - Communiqué

28 Likes

Decided to play this one from 1978 (lordy!).

On vinyl, Quincy Jones, Sounds…and Stuff Like That!

Very much in the style of The Dude, with Patti Austin, Luther Vandross + others appearing on vocals, and Herbie Hancock on keyboards…how can it go wrong!

5 Likes

You’ve time warped BIA? :grin:

1 Like

Not heard that! Just looked it up, again, serious list of artists.

Queen - Sheer Heart Attack - 1974
On vinyl

Brighton Rock still a great track! They were supporting Mott the Hoople before this album came out. That all changed eh?

19 Likes

cover

Brilliant raw blues from the Aussie band Moody Smith & the Speculators.
Dave these are for you as I think you will love them.

4 Likes

Joining in with the Quincy Jones appreciation

51r9GN1CycL.AC
The Birth Of A Band, big band brilliance with a stellar cast, from '59.

11 Likes