What are you listening to in 2023 and why might anyone be interested?

Me too ! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

One of my favourite albums from the last few years, Bruce Springsteen Western Stars.

19 Likes

Now playing…

Anna Tivel - Blue World

Anna Tivel (Vocals), Galen Clark (Piano, Rhodes, Wurlitzer, Organ) and Micah Hummel (Percussion).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/24)… continuing on this afternoon with Anna and along with Galen and Michael are sounding sublime! Beautiful voice and enjoy her work…

6 Likes

Enjoying…

this recommendation from @igahman and a mighty fine one it is too :ok_hand:

Sublime
Qobuz/Roon 44.1/16
ERA-1s

25 Likes

Hi @Adam1 the two recommendations from Kev are excellent. Chet had two careers really his first took off after being selected by Charlie Parker to play in his band and then being voted musician of the year in 1953 and 54 by Down Beat anything from this period on the Pacific Jazz label either on his own or with Russ Freeman or Gerry Mulligan is well worth a listen as are the recordings he did on French label Barclay.

During the first half of the 1960’s only Chet is Back on RCA, Baby Breeze on Limelight are worth checking out after which Chet pretty much disappears releasing some truly awful records until 1974 when he releases She Was Good To Me on CTI records.

This is the start of Chet’s ‘second career’ which get’s off to a slow start but is he is then hugely prolific from 1979 right up until his death 1988. This is my favourite period when Chet produces some really beautiful music interspersed with the odd not so good record almost all of his recordings on Danish label Steeplechase are excellent only ‘When Sunny Gets Blue’ is a bit off the pace but the three Chet Baker Trio titles are excellent as is No Problem with Duke Jordan and Diana with Paul Bley.

In my opinion pretty much everything from about 1979 until 1988 is worth checking out releases on the Dutch Timeless label are all excellent as are the one’s on Criss Cross Jazz there have been lots of posthumous releases from this period like Blue Room mentioned above by @TheKevster many of which are very good too.

Hope that’s been a help and happy listening.

6 Likes

Goldfrapp, felt mountain. :smiling_face:

18 Likes

Now playing…

India.Arie - Acoustic Soul

India.Arie (Acoustic Guitar, Vocals), Mark Batson (Bass, Drums, Fender Rhodes, Keyboards, Mellotron, Organ, Percussion,Synthesizer), John Catchings (Cello), Duane Covert (Vocals), Larry Goldings (Organ, Wurlitzer), Steve Grossman (Drums, Percussion), Tony Harrell (Keyboards), Kerisha Hicks (Vocals), Judeth Insel (Viola), Avery Johnson (Bass), Bashiri Johnson (Percussion), Doug Kahan (Bass), Terry MacMillan (Percussion), Blue Miller (Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Vocals), Bob Power (Bass, Guitar), Marlene Rice (Violin), Ralph Rolle (Drums), Joyce Simpson (Vocals), David Spak (Percussion), Laurnea Wilkerson (Vocals) and Nioka Workman (Cello).

Streaming on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on into the late afternoon with India.Arie and she and the talented group of musicians are sounding mighty sweet! Getting the toes tapping…

14 Likes

LP - Rhino 2014 reissue : )

<<>>

Happy Birthday Emmylou Harris! :birthday: :balloon:

born on 2nd April 1947 in Birmingham, Alabama :us:

19 Likes

Rounding off my enjoyable African desert music evening session Roon Radio kindly recommended this stunning debut album from sensuous sounding Fatoumata Diawara…

Among the many well recorded songs ‘Sowa’ is my favourite. A serious range of subjects, beautifully sung and apparently a certain Led Zepp bassist gets a credit or two on this unique and tuneful album.

Worth a spin.

Sublime
Qobuz/Roon 44.1/16
ERA-1s

13 Likes

Cheers Bob, perfect, have some stuff on order and will start discovering via streaming to narrow down some more.

Very much appreciated, thanks for taking the time.

Emmylou Harris & Mark Knopfler, all the roadrunning. Happy birthday Emmylou Harris! :birthday:

Thank you @Debs. :blush:

20 Likes

I have two copies of the old Mobile Fidelity sacd and the sq on that is fabulous.

Most of the album due out late April.

14 Likes

4 Likes

A few tracks from this

6 Likes

The 3 pics are from the sessions for the latest Knopfler album recorded at British Grove which is now at the mixing stage for release hopefully later this year. Work has been ongoing on the album since 2021.

22 Likes

‘Honky Chateau’ – Elton John

Sounding sublime on a sunny Sunday morning.

15 Likes

Budgie - In For The Kill!

13 Likes

Humble Pie - Smokin’

14 Likes

10 Likes