What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

The Arcs – Yours, Dreamily,
CD|2015

The Arcs are Dan Auerbach, Leon Michels, Richard Swift, Homer Steinweiss, and Nick Movshon; also on the album are Kenny Vaughan and Mariachi Flor de Toloache.

First listen. Enjoying.

5 Likes

Top gun, original motion picture soundtrack. :smiling_face:

8 Likes

I drove across the USA that summer … the Berlin was on the radio constantly … loathe the tune with a passion, LOL.

Saturday night, Mau5 on the deck, all is good.

6 Likes

Prince, purple rain. :smiling_face:

21 Likes

A classic needed, this will do.

17 Likes

15 Likes

Just Another Band From East L.A., Los Lobos, 1993.

Remaining in Los Angeles at the moment…

11 Likes

Probably my favourite Hitchcock. Wonderful album.

1 Like

Kicking off a chilly Sunday morning with Moody Blues Days of Future Past, thanks to @Cmax for the nudge

19 Likes

Its a great album, glad you are enjoying it, we are having a mini heatwave, not used to it, not good for sleep.

3 Likes

We’re having the opposite it’s snowing up on the Tops an hours drive from here. Least the sun is shining though.

1 Like

The Eagles Best of

16 Likes

Sepultura - Roots (2022 remaster, limited edition box set)

Roots was my formal introduction to Sepultura upon its release in 1996 and still remains one of metal’s finest offerings. For the longest time the boys from Brazil produced a brutal but highly complex form of thrash that garnered them international respect and fame but Roots saw a major stylistic shift, introducing native Brazilian instrumentation and language while adding elements from the burgeoning nu-metal scene, including guest vocals courtesy of Jonathon Davies of Korn. Controversial and divisive the album may be but it a stunning accomplishment, the many myriad styles and tribal flavors lending the music unique and complex textures while still retaining the collapsing-star heaviness that forms the core of Sepultura. Tracks like “Roots,” “Ratamahatta” and “Born Stubborn” expemplify this best, bringing a chaotic but almost festive energy that makes it hard to sit still when listening to the music burst forth from the speakers. As an aside, Roots was my “introduction” to death-metal-esque vocals, with Max Cavalera’s coarse bellowing changing my perception of the stylistic range of singing and that melody is only one aspect of it. This opened the door to true death metal and beyond and for that will be forever grateful to Sepultura.

As outlined above, this is a fancy, deluxe box-set that celebrates the 25th anniversary of Roots that includes a second album full of demos and rarities and a third, live album taken from their appearance at Ozzfest in Phoenix, AZ in '96, all remastered specifically for this vinyl release. So how does it sound? Compared to my original CD from '96 it is overall praise-worthy but different. I would describe it as a very analog-y presentation, with heaps of warmth and fine texture at the expense of the harder-hitting dynamics that you get with the CD, which is still a great recording. I would have liked a little more bite but the large, holographic soundstage offers a seductive counter-balance. Regardless, despite paying through the nose for this box-set it’s well worth it for super-fans such as myself.

5 Likes

Madonna, finally enough love: 50 number ones. :smiling_face:

13 Likes

Morning tunes, with a good espresso and some Belgian indie tunes:

Ozark Henry - The Sailor Not The Sea

Starts a bit esoteric and off-kilter, which can either suck you in or keep you out. I had some experience with him before when this came out, so was both new yet instantly recognisable. haven’t played any of his work in recent time, but felt like some chilled out tunes :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Antonio Forcione & Sabina Sciubba Meet Me In London / 1998 naim / Austria CD / naimcd021

14 Likes

Travis - LA Times
Via Tidal Max stream

Really nice album to start a Sunday. It seems like the 90s will never end, why not? Will there be a new Radiohead album soon? :wink:

5 Likes

I haven’t played that in ages! Hidden gem, that is.

1 Like

I’m back into something a bit more energetic to keep my mind of things, so Ozzy prog it is. Will probably emotionally snap for a minute at the track ‘Autumn’, but we’ll see when we get there! :sweat_smile:

Caligula’s Horse - Rise Radiant

4 Likes