What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

The Drifter is such a fantastic track.

1 Like

Oyster Band - Holy Bandits - WAV CD rip
High energy folk-rock album from one of the great British folk rock bands. Probably my favourite Oysters album, excellent songs and their usual superb musicianship.

4 Likes

Are you thinking of Jenkinson’s Wine Bar. I saw a few bands there, the Bunnymen, Spizz and various others.

1 Like

Was Jenkinsons in West Street ?
I saw Green On Red at the Zap club although I am not 100 % sure it was the name of the Venue.
The club was at the bottom of West Street and along the arches going towards the Palace Pier .
Some great bands you saw back in the day especially The Bunnymen

1 Like

Buena Vista Social Club - Sampler.

14 Likes

On CD.

2 Likes

It was on the corner of West Street and Kings Road, on the seafront, very near the Top Rank, where I went to a rather edgy Thestre of Hate show, where security made us take off our studded belts in case of trouble. There was another little place just along from Jenkinsons where I saw the Chefs, who I absolutely loved.

2 Likes

Bedtime Tunes:

Storm Corrosion: Storm Corrosion

9 Likes

Where you at University in Brighton at the time ?
I saw loads of gigs at the Top Rank like Happy Mondays and The Fall and The Charlatans and The Pixies
.Around 1991 to 1993 . I would go to Friday night house music nights there with top London DJs .
Looking back and I am sure you will concur although we are older now we where around in our twenties to see such great bands and just took it for granted at the time .But there was so much unique and fresh music coming out…just so much creativity
We really are blessed to look back as music lovers and have those memories …if a little hazy now …but you know what I mean .

4 Likes

100% on that :+1:

2 Likes

I very good friend of mine did a photo shoot with him several years back. This is one of the images he took.

10 Likes

Agalloch - Marrow of the Spirit (2011, limited edition)

The lads are visiting our far-flung shores for the first time in September and to say I’m excited would be an understatement akin to remarking that the universe is “a bit roomy.” Obviously I’m taking the opportunity to wallow in their small but remarkable discography and penultimate album Marrow of the Spirit is a delight to sample, a return to the harsher black metal influence of their debut, Pale Folklore but buffeted by the intervening years of experience. What this means is Agalloch deliver a careful balance of intensity, delicacy and texture, a spell-binding journey that leaves one slightly empty when it’s over as you only want to return to the music’s embrace once more.

Great, but that’s not what I want to bang on about. No, what I want to highlight is the shocking, extraordinary sound quality of this pressing, one that had me eyes-wide with wonder throughout the entire listening experience. How would I describe it? Warm yet detailed, thick yet clear and balanced with every instrument in its place. What gallops forth from the speakers is a sound so rich and burnished that it seems suffused from within by an inner light, a nourishing hearth awaiting a long winter’s trek through the snow. I thought to myself “this is analog in its purest form” but shrugged off the notion because metal albums are rarely cut from the same cloth as the fastidious audiophile releases from dedicated labels. And then I read the liner notes and found that the entire album was 100% recorded, mixed and mastered in analog and it all made sense. I always thought the CD sounded good but played back on a laudable vinyl chain it becomes a transcendental experience, easily rivaling the best, wanky audiophile albums beloved by the hi-fi cognoscenti. I’m not sure if the re-issues are of the same quality so if you can dig deeper than normal then I behoove you to wrangle an original pressing if you can. You won’t be disappointed.

2 Likes

{{{{{__}}}}}

4 Likes

Angie McMahon Light Dark Light Again

7 Likes

8 Likes

10 Likes

To send you right back HH and seeing the Chefs that night which you loved.
Argh Google images …
Enjoy the pic
Warm wishes Ian

1 Like

I lived in Worthing so used to travel to Brighton in the train. University was Bangor, which wasn’t exactly like the Brighton music scene! We did have Joy Division and Buzzcocks in autumn ‘79 though. I wrote to Robert Smith asking if the Cure would play on Anglesey; they didn’t but got a nice handwritten letter back from Robert. It was relatively easy to travel to Liverpool and Manchester from Bangor though.

2 Likes

Good luck :+1:

Very relaxing Mozart Piano Concertos before leaving for work
Mozart Piano Concertos No. 20 And 23

8 Likes