What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Fairport Convention - It All Came Round Again CD 5 - WAV CD rip
From a new lim-ed box set (release date tomorrow), 11 CDs (and a DVD) of the re-formed Fairport from 1982-90. Recordings taken from Cropredy festivals and radio broadcasts, judging by this one the SQ is excellent.
This disc has 9 tracks from the first Cropredy I attended back in 1984, a fantastic nostalgia trip. Very fine folk rock songs played by very fine lineups of the band, I’ll enjoy working through the set over the next couple of weeks.

10 Likes

‘Albatross’ takes me back to watching TOTP on black and white TV in 1969 as a boy with my late father. I didn’t know it was Fleetwood Mac then!

3 Likes

Voice like gravel. Opens with a song for our times ‘Everything Is Broken’. Not for the faint hearted this one I feel. Raw. Uniti Core

8 Likes

For me, this ‘Rainbow’ disc recorded in 1979 is the find in this box set, top quality from a classic era and not released before.

2 Likes

The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night

The Beatles - A Hard Days Night - CD (1964)

The Beatles third album ‘A Hard Day’s Night’ started a twenty-one week run at the top of the UK charts, on this day in 1964, This was the first Beatles album to be recorded entirely on four-track tape, allowing for good stereo mixes.

24 Likes

12 Likes

It certainly is, I realised I had neglected this, as I had all the other previously released albums from the set, therefore it wasn’t on regular rotation. It will certainly be getting more plays.

Skunk Anansie, Wonderlustre.

They’re not just about Skin’s voice, though that is pretty darn good! A bit of a rediscovery from my slightly younger days 8)

3 Likes

Earth Wind & Fire All 'N All / 2012 Columbia / Japan Blu-spec CD / Paper Sleeve / SICP 20358

Got a dime and a rhyme brilliant mind
Still inclined in your prime to design
Moving soon, upper room
Paid your dues ‘cause you’re through feelin’ blue

13 Likes

Genesis - Duke.

24 Likes

A change of mood as the night draws in. Qobuz stream. A small hole on the shelf, sadly.

5 Likes

Shane Profitt - Still Picks Up

2 Likes

Fairport Convention - It All Came Round Again CD 8 - WAV CD rip
Another disc from the retrospective box, this time the ‘87 Cropredy set, originally released on cassette by the band as an official boot. Some of Fairport’s greatest folk rock numbers, guitar fireworks from Jerry Donahue on Tele and Richard Thompson on Strat, probably the high point being June Tabor’s chilling performance of Sandy Denny’s John the Gun.

8 Likes

Super Deluxe

22 Likes

Ah yes, the last of the great albums for me before pop took over with ‘Abacab’. My favourite tracks are some of the less well known ones from this album. ‘Heathaze’ reminds me of ‘Mad Man Moon’ from ‘Trick of the Tail’. Also like ‘Guide Vocal’ and the ‘Duke’ pieces at the end.

1 Like

Del Amitri - Some Other Suckers Parade.

10 Likes

A stunningly beautiful album I regularly fall back on. I have the vinyl, the CD but I’m giving the Qobuz HiRes a go. Prefer the vinyl but still wonderful.

13 Likes

Bedtime Tunes:

Larkin Poe: Blood Harmony

7 Likes

Divided the critics and the fans. If you don’t compare with what came before, it is an enjoyable record and well mixed. It gets my vote.

12 Likes

Time for some happy music, The Beatles Hard Days Night mono

21 Likes