What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Roxy Music - Manifesto

17 Likes

Blood - The Lacemaker is such a beautiful opening track. Ethereal stuff. Qobuz stream.

16 Likes

Level 42 The Pursuit Of Accidents / 2015 Polydor / Netherlands CD / 5363747

11 Likes

A bit of BB King and Clapton (Riding with the King) before taking the train into Greenwich.

18 Likes

Bobbie Gentry - Ode To Billie Joe - CD (1967)

Happy :birthday: Birthday - Bobbie Gentry 82 today 27/0742

Bobbie Gentry, US singer, songwriter, notable as one of the first female country artists to compose and produce her own material. Gentry rose to international fame with her intriguing Southern Gothic narrative ‘Ode to Billie Joe’ in 1967. The track spent four weeks at No.1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and sold over three million copies all over the world. Her album Fancy brought her a Grammy nomination for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.

14 Likes

John Hiatt - 1988 - Slow Turning - Label - A&M - OG Vinyl.

This is John Hiatt’s ninth studio album produced by Glyn Jones.

This is a fantastic album containing song such as Feels Like Rain which was later covered by Buddy Guy & Aaron Neville, Ice Blue Heart covered by Emmylou Harris & Linda Ronstadt , also Slow Turning which was used in the movie The Rookie.

It is also a great sounding album with cover art photography from Anton Corbijn.

19 Likes

One of my favourites (although, like everyone else here, I do have lots of favourites).

2 Likes

Paul McCartney & Wings - Band On The Run - CD Archive Collection - (1974)

50 years ago today 27/07/74 Wings started a seven-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with Band On The Run. Although sales were modest initially, its commercial performance was aided by two hit singles ‘Jet’ and ‘Band on the Run’, such that it became the top-selling studio album of 1974 in the UK and Australia; in addition to revitalising McCartney’s critical standing. It remains McCartney’s most successful album and the most celebrated of his post-Beatles works.

22 Likes

Fresh as the day it was made. Good Qobuz hires compared to the original cd release.

G

17 Likes

She’s 82 - her real birthdate is 1942.

11 Likes

I hadn’t realised till after I played it, it was released on the 27th July 1990, so it’s celebrating its 34th Birthday!
Like you, I have loads of favourites, I also think they didn’t get the recognition they deserved.

2 Likes

Here’s a gratuitous picture of Bobbie on her tank, Las Vegas c.1976…

5 Likes

Hi Kev, you’re right, amended, thats the golden rule broken! check your facts before hitting the send key :face_holding_back_tears:

2 Likes

George Benson Breezin’ / 2009 Warner / EU CD / 5 Originals Box Set / 8122798365

12 Likes

CD - vile beat records 1993 : )

Barbara Thomson - Heavenly Bodies

<< :saxophone: >>

Barbara Thompson was born on this day in 1944

born on 27th July 1944 in Oxford, England :uk:

Barbara Gracey Thompson MBE (1944-2022)

8 Likes

I was lucky to spend some time with her and Jon Hiseman plus the rest of her band Paraphernalia after a gig at the Crucible in Sheffield many moons ago, great musicians, thankfully she’s left a great back catalogue.

4 Likes

Now this takes me back

Now That’s What I Call Punk & New Wave

I was never into anything Punk or New Wave back in the day but I must say I’m enjoying this immensely, 4 disks with up to 22 tracks per disc some rubbish obviously but in the main a great listen

9 Likes

I wasn’t aware of her passing away until almost wishing her a ‘happy birthday’ today… apparently after suffered Parkinson’s disease in the past 25 years of her life.
This day of age 77 years seems too soon :confused:

4 Likes

That ‘difficult’ second album proved not to be the case here.

G

15 Likes

RIP Patty Waters. What a voice, what a band performance.

5 Likes