What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

<<>>

Robert Schumann died on this day in 1856

born in Zwickau, Kingdom of Saxony :de:

Schumann died in a sanatorium in Bonn, aged 46 on 29 July 1856, the cause of death being recorded as pneumonia.

Robert Schumann (1810-1856)

10 Likes

AC/DC - Let There Be Rock - CD (1977)

18 Likes

Debut album. Uniti Core…

8 Likes

It’s so good. I adore Jonas Renske’s voice. It’s so fragile when he wants it to be and powerful when it needs to.

1 Like

I’m angry, so it was time for some loud stuff.

Opeth - Ghost of Perdition

My favourite album. I saw the 15 year anniversary show years ago on my birthday. Fantastic show.

The neighbours are on holiday, the Grand Conjuration is exactly what I need now. Such a powerful song.

9 Likes

I think you may have been lucky here. I had an copy of Cradle Of Filth’s Hammer Of The Witches on Pic Disc and it suffered from some pretty bad surface noise. The mastering was Ok but the ‘swooshing” noise was noticeable, I sold it on with a disclaimer of the same.

By the way, I keep going back to Flaming Wrekage, it’s growing on me a lot despite the rougher vocals.

Qobuz also don’t have the Agalloch LP you listed recently, any other recommendations of theirs to try?

2 Likes

Angela Hewitt / Schumann Humoreske / Sonata in F Sharp Minor / 2007 Hyperion / Austria Hybrid SACD / SACDA67618

8 Likes

My favourite of theirs is Pale Communion which is going on now. :blush:

1 Like

Bedtime Tunes:

Opeth: Pale Communion

9 Likes

Doesn’t always have to be music!

1 Like

Thanks for the support last night, I do appreciate it. Cheers.

6 Likes

From what I’ve read the process of embedding the album art within the layers leads to shallower groove depth and thus reduced sound quality. Noise wise it wasn’t the quietest pressing but neither the noisiest, certainly on par with the average black vinyl. I did run it through my record cleaning machine prior to listening.

1 Like

I personally think what leads to the noisy reputation for pic discs is that they’re usually sold loose in a basic plastic sleeve rather than the medium itself having an inherent fault. After a clean and storing them in a MoFi poly-lined sleeve they’re not much noisier than your average pressing as I posted above.

Good to hear that Flaming Wreckage are growing on you.

Re: Agalloch, know that all five of their full-length albums are exemplary and it is impossible to not hit a winner regardless which you choose. Having said that, their second album, The Mantle is not only my personal fave but a top-5 album of all time. Sit down, dim the lights, pick a beverage of choice and let the music wash over you. It’s a transcendental experience.

A bit of roots rock first thing this morning. A 2008 set from Webb Wilder

3 Likes

Inspired by the 252/552 thread, 24/96.

14 Likes

Dave Valentin Kalahari / 1984 GRP / Japan for US CD / GRPD9508

Dave Valentin Flute
Bill O’Connell Piano, Synthesizer
Kevin Eubanks Acoustic Guitar
Lincoln Goines Bass
Roger Squitero Percussion
Robert Ameen Drums

4 Likes