What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

John Martyn. 1973. The title track was written for his friend Nick Drake. Often cited as his best album. It now seems criminal that he rarely troubled the charts.

““I don’t know what’s going on in your mind/But I know you don’t like what you find/When you’re moving through solid air,” sings Martyn. After Drake’s death in November 1974, it became a kind of requiem.” (Martyn Website.)

23 Likes

Their 1st & best imo. Uniti Core.

2 Likes

cheers, good to know

4 Likes

Some more John Martyn. 2004 album on which Martyn is joined by Paul Weller, Nick McCabe and Mavis Staples, and many usual suspects.

13 Likes

On CD:-

David Rawlings - Poor David’s Almanack

6 Likes

Ruthie Foster - Mileage
CD|2024

6 Likes

Mrs twofifty was catching up on Jonnie Walker and he mentioned Fluff Freeman so here we are. Reminds me of Fluff more than any other band. Uniti Core.

18 Likes

Yes great music from a, ‘not nice’ man

1 Like

Recorded at Westwood Manor, Wilts on the ancient virginal and spinet instruments - visited this afternoon.

According to the notes, the virginal (1537) is the oldest playable example of this type in existence.

5 Likes

Shelby & Moorer (sisters) ‘Dark Yet’, some lovely covers, and too long since I listened to it.

8 Likes

Decided to listen to some more Ruthie Foster … Live at Antone’s

CD|2011

Includes DVD of performance.

4 Likes

It’s been wall to wall Stevie Ray Vaughan this afternoon - ‘In Step’, ‘Soul to Soul’, ‘Texas Flood’ and now, ‘Couldn’t Stand the Weather’ - loving it

25 Likes

Chloe Chua - Butterfly Lovers & Paganini

4 Likes

The playlist suggestions Tidal makes are a bit of a hit and miss but one was spot on

One of 1990s’ most mythical groups, British trio Portishead made their mark with the trip-hop landmark Dummy and then burrowed further down the electronic rabbit hole. By the time of 2008’s Third, they had traded chill for catharsis.

4 Likes

Uniti Core

13 Likes

John Miles - Rebel - CD (1976)

12 Likes

Oasis - Maybe? Definitely!

10 Likes

Always sounds fantastic and her performance is effervescent so many great tracks
Diana Krall - Live In Paris

18 Likes

Had high hopes……Jon has done some amazing music within YES and outside the band. This just seems like YES filler tracks. Will never play again….each to their own.

7 Likes