What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Profile on BBC R4 FM, on interim England football manager Lee Carsley.

I always think that the presenter’s tone is either dryly laconic or deeply bloody irritating, depending upon mood!

Before that, Loose Ends where Clive (look at me, on first name terms) was on his customary good form in a Scots-themed programme but with a good contribution from Northern Irish stand up Shane Todd, a man with no plan B.

Both easily findable, and both enjoyable.

1 Like

Bocelli. CD. Inherited for my Mother in Law. Some lovely music on here.

I always assumed that " Con Te Partiro/ Time to Say Goodbye" was an old opera song.

" It was first performed by Andrea Bocelli at the 1995 Sanremo Music Festival and recorded on his album of the same year, Bocelli . The single was first released as an A-side single with “Vivere” in 1995, topping the charts, first in France, where it became one of the best-selling singles of all-time, and then in Belgium, breaking the all-time record sales there."

6 Likes

So true about music that you like and enjoying it on something not considered hifi
In my kitchen I do alot of listening on a Sony Radio on Radio 3 and it’s hugely enjoyable.
Its in mono but you get the main jist of the classical music.
I really think that non hifi is great as you when you listen to your lounge system it gives you a massive smile as you are hearing so much detail and soundstage and its easier to follow instruments etc
But in a way I enjoy my Sony Radio as you dont over analyse its performance and just enjoy the music

For you Garry …Ariel getting amongst the music earlier

10 Likes

Pink Floyd - A Saucerful of Secrets

…which was preceded by The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. As it was.

17 Likes

Eric Clapton - The Road To Sapporo, recorded initially as a radio broadcast. Beautifully recorded, this is the tour where Derek Trucks joined the ranks.

8 Likes

Mercury Rev – Born Horses
CD|2024

First listen. Interesting so far.

7 Likes

Great photo’s of Ariel, thanks very much for sharing :+1:

Regarding my earlier comments about listening to music on cassette, out of all the formats, I’ve owned, LP, CD, Minidisc, Cassette is the one I miss the most, wish new cassette decks were more readily available.

Long live the cassette :grin:

Gary

2 Likes

Tim Buckley - Happy Sad - CD (1969)

11 Likes

Okay, almost never do this, but stopped listening on the 4th song. Either not in the mood, or don’t like it.

On to something more enjoyable.

King Tuff – Smalltown Stardust
CD|2023

indie rock.

3 Likes

Dr. John The Montreux Years - 2023

7 Likes

Pallas : The Messenger (2023) Bandcamp DL 48/24

One of yesterdays Bandcamp Friday downloads and loving this slice of modern prog from the Scottish Maestros.

5 Likes

Glad you liked the Ariel pictures
Yeah cassette is a format I still use as loads still from my teenage years
I have a mate who has a cassette deck and every 3 months I do him a compilation tape.
Which is always fun.Its really old school as we live in the age of Spotify playlists that people send you on E mail.
But a tape has so much soul.You recorded it and gave the running order much thought and consideration. The sound quality off my Nakamichi BX 300E is fantastic not far off the original.The @TheKevster here has a Dragon …absolutely top bit of kit

When I was about 12 I was on holiday with my parents and I had this mono ITT portable and had recorded my favourite band albums of the time off my dads record deck from his JVC tape deck.It was great listening to my favourite albums in my hotel room.
And that magic you get getting into a band and getting more familiar with their albums.
I had loads of Genesis so albums like Nursery Chryme and Trespass and Wind And Wuthering on that trip.

Just done a Google image search …here is that little portable
Argh the rose tinted glasses are definitely on…

6 Likes

Crap…Forumites are really good at spending my money!

2 Likes

Spare bedroom kit.

10 Likes

11 Likes

Happy to help :grinning:
I recommend the Road to Yokohama album I posted the other day too. Modern day FM broadcasts these days, can rival official live releases imho.

1 Like

Ratboys – Printer’s Devil
CD|2020

Indie rock.

3 Likes

Plan B - The Defamation Of Strickland Banks
Sounding amazing to me tonight. This is why we bought Naim.

7 Likes

4 Likes

The Magic Of Mozart at the Proms on BBC 2 from The Royal Albert Hall

7 Likes