What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

My go to rock album over the last few years.

2 Likes

12 Likes

Return to form 13/14 years after his initial run of great albums. Terrific live band. Really knows how to ring the emotion out of a tune. Springsteen pops by. Sticking with the CD rip but even better on vinyl.

4 Likes

Chris Rea - Shamrock Diaries.

12 Likes

Mine’s a similar story to yourself, got a portable cassette on my 12th birthday, and never looked back, before that under supervision, I did have access to my dad’s Sony cassette deck, for making compilation tapes.

I must have been about 17/18 when I got my own Sony Cassette Receiver, can’t remember the exact model, but something very similar to the photo below.
s-l140

I was in HiFi heaven (Don’t laugh at the back, I know its not proper HiFi) but it was mine, bought and paid for by me, a Sony turntable followed and this lasted until it was replaced by a Meridian 101 and a pair of M3’s quickly swopped for M2’s with a JVC cassette player, replaced by an Awia F770, various turntables rotated ending up with the Pink Triangle.

I’ll stop there, cos we are in the ‘What are you listening thread’ but thank you for getting the old brain cells going :grin:

5 Likes

Oh you bad boy,@bruss, very tempting…

2 Likes

On CD.

1 Like

12 Likes

Nine objects of desire is pretty damned special as well.

Depeche Mode - Violator Mode Box Set - CD (2020)

12 Likes

Also think there are very few who can wrap lyrics of such weight in a melody that gets into your ears before the depth of their meaning hits at your core.

Either one of her first two albums could be my one and only desert island disc.

2 Likes

Disc 1 of a wonderful 2 disc release. Beats any of her solo albums for me. Such a beautiful voice. Uniti Core.

14 Likes

Bonobo - Dial ‘M’ for Monkey

4 Likes

Great story Garry
Totally get your comments about the Sony receiver and it was yours payed for with your own money.
When you look bàck there is something special about buying stuff when your young.
Not just Hi - Fi but anything like a first car …bicycle.

This was my first cassette deck a Aiwa AD 3100 which I brought at 16 from Comet for about £80
I adored that deck and loved the LED 's on the meters.I had a NAD 3020 amp and Sennheiser headphones and my Dad’s Philips 202 record deck.
Don’t laugh but I was close to buying that Aiwa cassette deck off E bay recently for nostalgia reasons.
Here it was and my Nakamichi looking sexy with the meters.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t laugh Ian, fully understand where you’re coming from, I’ve been tempted on more than one occasion to purchase a Quad 44+405, something else from my Hi-Fi past.

1 Like

Yeah, same here.
My neighbour as a teenager introduced me to HiFi and Pink Floyd, with a Thorens TD160.
I have so nearly bought one several times including just last week.
I don’t NEED one, but I’ve always WANTED one and Mrs Q says, just do it…:man_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

Taylor Dayne, can’t fight fate. :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Bill Evans - California Here I Come.

10 Likes

TD160 is good, but it’s no LP12.

(I understand the need. Nostalgia.)

2 Likes

I know Stevie, it would be a senseless expenditure, but it’s an itch that I keep feeling the need to scratch.
One day maybe…:wink:

3 Likes