What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

It’s Ok @steviebee, I’m a big fan of Nick’s and had been listening to ‘Wild God’ earlier, while out walking, but ‘Skeleton Tree’ just hit the spot.

Anyway, back to seeing what others have been playing today, some great selections as always, keep em coming. :+1:

Gary

3 Likes

Not played this in a while, not sure why as it’s one of his better solo offerings IMHO

Robert Plant And The Strange Sensation - Mighty Rearranger

15 Likes

Hawkwinds 12 th Studio album from 1982
And for good measure on the back a picture of Dave Brock .Amazing their only consistent member and at 82 still playing live…Hats off to you Dave

Hawkwind - Church Of Hawkwind

9 Likes

Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years - CD (1975)

19 Likes

Joining in with the slight Irish flavour of the thread

Rory Gallagher - Live! In Europe, you can’t beat a bit of “Bullfrog Blues”.

20 Likes

Kevin Figes Sextet You are Here Jazz Now CD. Tribute to Keith Tippett & his contemporary composers. Some fantastic music - see the set list below as well as loadsa great Tippett pieces those by Elton Dean & Dudu Pukwana are tremendous.

This will get expensive - already ordered an Elton Dean’s Ninesense Ogun CD from Bandcamp.

3 Likes

It’s interesting, think it will take a few more plays to decide, found myself drifting off as was busy at the time.

Electric Light Orchestra

Discovery

Edward

17 Likes

Moving Hearts - Live Hearts - 1st press vinyl
I saw them in the early-mid ‘80s, but can’t remember whether it was this (‘83) tour or later, if it’s this one I’d have been at this recording as it was from the Dominion and I saw them in London. Christie Moore had left by now, but it’s a large number of the finest Irish musicians of the late 20th century playing up a storm, masterful rocked up trad Irish music.

I was recently looking at the membership of the Aosdána, which states “ Aosdána, founded in 1981, honours artists whose work has made an outstanding contribution to the creative arts in Ireland….”
Assuming their website is right, of the musicians who from the ‘70s on revitalised and repopularised Irish traditional music only Donal Lunny is represented.
No Christie Moore, Andy Irvine, Liam O’Flynn, Davey Spillane, Declan Sinnott, Mary Black, Dolores Keane, Frances Black, let alone people who became super sellers such as Enya, or masters of trad influenced music such as the Corrs, The Pogues (McGowan as a songwriter especially) or Dolores O’Riordan who managed to have a song with keening become a worldwide hit.
I wonder how Donal got in.

7 Likes

CD - Columbia/Sony Music : )

Santana - Inner Secrets

<<>>

Greg Walker – lead vocals
Carlos Santana – guitar, backing vocals
Chris Solberg – guitar, backing vocals
Chris Rhyne – keyboards
David Margen – bass
Graham Lear – drums
Armando Peraza – percussion, backing vocals
Raul Rekow – percussion, backing vocals
Pete Escovedo – percussion
Dennis Lambert – clavinet, backing vocals
Mike Boddicker – synthesizer programming

Recorded at Western Recorders, Los Angeles, California 1978

~ < < > > ~

13 Likes

2 Likes

Another part of the same album. Martha has been a great champion of chamber music. Hope she may still long spell her with her playing and collaboration with other musicians.

5 Likes

Buddy Guy & Junior Wells - Play The Blues.

13 Likes

I used to work with Kevin many years ago ! He would tell me about his sax lessons with Elton Dean. I need to get this CD !

2 Likes

The Cranberries - No Need to Argue - WAV CD rip
For me Dolores O’Riordan had one of the great rock voices, her Limerick accent and use of Irish traditional singing techniques allied to a beautiful voice and ability to interpret a song made her stand out. An album of alt-rock songs of great emotional power led by Zombie, one of the great anti-violence songs, superbly sung and with fine playing.
After 30 years the vocals on Zombie still make the hairs on my arms stand up.

12 Likes

Brilliant opening track of an improvised concert that the audience clearly loved.

All three masterful players were on top form together.

Superb recording.

@HungryHalibut I know you like this trio, so you may already know this gig.

6 Likes

Bedtime Tunes:

Bruce Soord with Jonas Renkse
Wisdom Of Crowds

3 Likes

Goldfrapp - Tales Of Us - CD (2013)

Is it really 11 years ago that ’ Tales Of Us’ was released.

20 Likes

Nena - of 99 Luftballons fame

6 Likes

Balthvs - Harvest. Self described Columbian psych-funk trio, with more than a hint of surf. Pleasant album, will appeal to fans of Khurangbin.

5 Likes