What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Moby - Resound NYC

8 Likes

IMG_2363

Allison Moorer - Blood. Allison is the sister of Shelby Lynne and these sparse yet powerful songs address the tragedy and fallout of their father shooting their mother and then turning the gun on himself, while both girls hid in the house.

8 Likes

IMG_2364

Decided to follow up Allison Moorer’s album with an album she made with sister, Shelby Lynne, titled Not Dark Yet. An album of covers by an interesting range of songwriters, including Bob Dylan, Townes Van Zandt, Amanda Shires & Jason Isbell, The Louvin brothers, Nick Cave and Kurt Cobain.

10 Likes

That sounds cheerful :grinning:

1 Like

Birdy, young heart. :smiling_face:

5 Likes

Playing in MQA 24/44.1 so unpacks/presents as WAV 24/88.1 through the Roon server to my NDS.

Hauntingly good vocals from Tracey Thorn

4 Likes

On Verve 180g Classic Records reissue series, recorded 1964, but not originally released until ‘73 and now with this reissue very quiet vinyl
Recommend this series

10 Likes

Thank you @Alley_Cat , I have seen the Floor Jansen ones but not this. Impressed! Makes phantom of the opera good but not as impressive. :smiling_face:

Beth Hart, war in my mind. My dog sang along with bad woman blues. :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Peggy Lee, the best of Miss Peggy Lee. Fever always get my dogs’ attention. :smiling_face:

8 Likes

An oldie but goldie.

8 Likes

Once again this 70 year old studio recording gets an airing.

The 24 year old pianist’s first record, with Charles Mingus and Art Blakey, who plays with brushes on this track.

This is about the closest you can get to hearing Bley hammer out jazz classics in a pretty straightforward and really enjoyable way - but his playing already had that unique sense of timing that was his hallmark - played fast and spritely in this case, but somehow with time to spare.

Although I was born 10 years after this record was made, I unfortunately didn’t discover Bley’s music until about 7 years ago, about a year after he died, thus I missed hundreds of opportunities to hear him play live.

Anyway, it sounds almost live this morning. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Some relaxìng Bach piano music before out the door to work

11 Likes

Vinyl from 1976. Nice.

11 Likes

Climax Blues Band. 1976. Vinyl.

They were a great live band and Pete Haycock was a serious guitar player imho.

8 Likes

Peggy Lee, black coffee with Peggy Lee. :smiling_face:

8 Likes

Blondie - Parallel Lines - CD (1978)

32 Likes

EC. 1974. Vinyl.

I have had this years and I know I didn’t buy it. Proof that it is dangerous to lend records to friends. Can’t remember whose it was.

20 Likes

Went out of my way to see them on a number of occasions, really excellent band live.

2 Likes

Bruce Springsteen - Darkness On The Edge Of Town - CD (1978)

Happy :birthday: Birthday - Bruce Springsteen - 75 today 23/09/49

US singer, songwriter, Bruce Springsteen, ‘The Boss’, who had the 1985 US No.2 & UK No.4 single ‘Dancing In The Dark’, 1994 UK No.2 single ‘Streets of Philadelphia’. He has sold more than 65 million albums in the United States and more than 120 million worldwide.

17 Likes