What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Another day of soup making (restocking our recently accidentally defrosted freezer) - French Onion today. Chilling with Chantal Chamberland - Temptation. Thanks to @A-Fin for the post that led me here.

4 Likes

Come Sunday pre ABBA I’ll do my best to start even earlier. Have a great evening!

1 Like

Vinyl hasn’t turned up yet so I’ll have to slum it with 96kHz/24 bit I guess…

6 Likes

You’ll need a cocktail with a sparkler in it to match your outfit :wink:

1 Like

I have an original Contemporary double album of that one @TheKevster, otherwise I would have bought a copy. The CD runs it close though.

Talking of Craft - just picked up a copy of Mal Waldron ‘The Quest’ at my local for less than £20, sealed. Has this series dropped in price?

1 Like

I am looking forward to my concert in Frankfurt in some time. Was really happy to see Portnoy coming back, even while Mangini was also an amazing player.

1 Like

Deep Purple - Made In Japan, the remastered edition, including a second disc featuring the encores.

18 Likes

I think a lot of them were being sold at vastly inflated prices (esp the Bill Evans and Miles Davis Craft OJCs) by retailers but some of the lesser-known titles were proving harder to shift, hence the price drops.

Also Concord (Craft’s ultimate owner) has got its UK distribution problems sorted out at last so the trade prices have fallen, allowing retailers to sell them for less and still get a margin.

Interesting you got the Waldron so cheap as it only came out a couple of weeks ago IIRC!

1 Like

Just rereleased by On-U Sound & for the first time on vinyl I believe. My CD rip sounds great so I’ll give the vinyl a swerve as tempting as it is.

6 Likes

LP - Blue Note / Tone Poet 2023 reissue : )

Donald Byrd - Slow Drag

:drum:

Donald Byrd – trumpet
Sonny Red – alto sax
Cedar Walton – piano
Walter Booker – bass
Billy Higgins – drums, vocals; on “Slow Drag”

Recorded at Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ on 12th May 1967
Album released in December 1968

~ < < > > ~

Billy Higgins was born on this day in 1936

born on 11th October 1936 in Los Angeles, California :us:

Billy Higgins 1936-2001

13 Likes

On vinyl. Sublime:

6 Likes

5 Likes

Caroline Says

Tucker Zimmerman

2 Likes

Ridiculously cheap price for that title so maybe it was a mis-price? I would have expected £40+.

I’m a fairly frequent shopper there so a bonus I guess !

1 Like

@Tabbycat @Cmax Just noticed Deal has a new album out, Nobody Loves You More, which Mojo has given a 5 star review?

2 Likes

There was a time circa 1980 when Ronnie Scotts was almost Billy Higgins’ second home - playing there with George Coleman, Cedar Walton and others. Such a great player, never heard a drummer better his sense of time. Great attitude too !

2 Likes

Herbie Hancock Takin’ Off / 2007 Blue Note / EU CD / RVG Edition / 094639275724

Herbie Hancock Piano
Freddie Hubbard Trumpet
Dexter Gordon Tenor Saxophone
Butch Warren Bass
Billy Higgins Drums

15 Likes

The New Land mono vinyl reissue from the last RSD. Another nice deal at my ‘local’. Kenny’s singing is perhaps an acquired taste but this is a nice album and quality reissue.

3 Likes

Interesting situation now listening to this album streamed. Bought it on Qobuz, but they don’t let me download it while they lost the rights…., crazy world, where these type of firms just do things….

3 Likes