What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

UFO : Live in Vienna 1998 (2LP)

I believe UFO are one of the finest hard rock bands ever to come out of the UK (if you ignore the first 2 dodgy space rock albums). From 1974 to 1979 a series of great hard rocking albums with German maestro Michael Schenker providing guitar duties are probably the best known of their albums but those with Paul Chapman and later with Vinnie Moore on guitar are also very fine albums (there are just a couple of duffers in the mid 1980’s).

Schenker rejoined the band in the early 1990’s and they released a couple of well received albums before Michael left once again. This album is a show from Vienna from 1998 and all the classic UFO songs are present but the three songs from the WOW album fit in really well. I saw them on this tour so this release brings back good memories of a slightly over indulgent evening at Newcastle City Hall.

UFO in conjunction with Cleopatra Records have released a slew of live shows in the past year or so from shows in 1976, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1985, 1993, 1994, 1995 and 1998. I think they are all soundboard recordings but are presented pretty much as played, warts and all, so there is the odd flubbed note, missed line and at times the sound can be a bit muddy (especially on the earlier recordings). Lots of Phil Mogg’s between song chats are there. For me, that’s what makes them worth listening to, turn them up and its like you are there at the show. This Vienna show is a cracker.

Available on vinyl/CD/Bandcamp/Qobuz I can see I will be buying too many of these but man, what a band they could be when they were firing on all cylinders.

8 Likes

End to end on this cracker, again. Beautiful.

2 Likes

Knockout!

4 Likes

Bedtime Tunes:

Big Big Train: Folklore

6 Likes

Listening to the patreon episodes of a history of rock in 500 songs, one of the claims to fame for the song Raunchy was it was what George played on the top of the bus for John to pass the audition….

As enjoyable as this album is 60 years on, what amazes me is it was only another 3 years to Strawberry Fields……

.sjb

19 Likes

And more or less the same until some good acid took effect.

3 Likes

Alter Bridge: Blackbird
Not listened to any Alter Bridge in a while. Really enjoy their studio sound, but I’ve seen them live 3 times and left before the end all 3 times.
They are always far too loud and the sound is always so unbalanced in their Arena shows, even with ear plugs I find it uncomfortable.
I really like Mark Tremonti’s guitar work.

2 Likes

Al Stewart - Year Of The Cat

Nice way to start the day before I head out onto the M25 :frowning:

21 Likes

front

1 Like

Yes it’s the ‘Bilbo’ version that’s needed. To me superior to the UK 1st.

1 Like

NSSE 500

9 Likes

folder

1 Like

folder

1 Like

Some enchanting Bach Harpsichord music before out the door to work

6 Likes

Very melodic album from 2009.

1 Like

@twofifty…agree beautiful haunting album and one I go back to on a regular basis.

ATB Graham

2 Likes

11 Likes

Frank Zappa - apostrophe (')

After a chance remark by my partner when we were on hols last week. Aged 63, here is my first Zappa album.

10 Likes

I hope it’s not your last, a great entry into the world of FZ

3 Likes

LP - AM Records 1975 : )

Karen Carpenter – vocals, drums
Richard Carpenter – keyboards, vocals
Joe Osborn – bass guitar
Jim Gordon – drums
Tony Peluso – guitar
Bob Messenger – tenor saxophone
Doug Strawn – baritone saxophone
Earl Dumler – oboe, English horn
Thad Maxwell – pedal steel guitar
Tommy Morgan – harmonica
Gayle Levant – harp

Recorded at A&M Studios, Hollywood / September 1974 – April 1975

~ < < > > ~

Happy Birthday Richard Carpenter! :birthday: :partying_face:

born on 15th October 1946 Richard Lynn Carpenter at Grace-New Haven Hospital in New Haven, Connecticut :us: (the same hospital where his sister, Karen, was later born)

23 Likes