What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

And they wandered 13 valleys crying out…it could have been me!
Stuart Adamson (Big Country)
What a talent and a miss this guy is.

12 Likes

Beck is superb, Rod’s best vocals……and Ron Wood on bass? Micky Waller solid performance. Give them another couple of album outings……we will never know. But yes, the 16 bit version i have is just lovely to listen to.

2 Likes

Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home - CD (1965)

‘Bringing It All Back Home’ was Bob’s fifth studio album and the first of Dylan’s albums to break into the US top 10, also topping the UK charts later that Spring. The lead track, ‘Subterranean Homesick Blues’ became Dylan’s first single to chart in the US, peaking at No.39. The album’s iconic cover, photographed by Daniel Kramer, features Sally Grossman, wife of Dylan’s manager Albert Grossman, lounging in the background. The artefacts scattered around the room include vinyl LPs by The Impressions and Robert Johnson.

24 Likes

Bob Dylan- Before The Flood

One of the best live recordings ever. Bob & The Band are top of their game.

Rumour has it we are going to see a boxset of the 1974 tour this year.

21 Likes

For a while, way back when, I couldn’t get enough of Yes - The Yes Album/Fragile. Lost interest after Close To The Edge which was a bit noodly for my taste. 50 years on I still think Fragile & The Yes Album are the ones to beat. Used to frequent a pub in Wakefield called The Roundabout at the time. Happy days. Great album. Great beer. Great juke box. Uniti Core.

26 Likes

Absolutely. I’ve been browsing the forum lightly for well over 10 years, but have only recently signed up and started to read it property. This thread in particular is superb, it’s great to discover so many new albums, especially from artists that are either unknown or out of my usual comfort zone.

5 Likes

Paul McCartney - Working Classical, a pleasant enough listen, as this features pieces specifically written for the project and some of his normal output, which is given a classical makeover. The melodies still shine through.

6 Likes

12 Likes

6 Likes

WARNING; do not search this album if you’re easily offended.

1 Like

2 Likes

Enjoying…

Gruff Rhys | ‘Sadness Sets Me Free’

Fancied a bit of Celtic folk and after playing a few Gwenno tracks, remembered Gruff Rhys (ex-Super Furry Animals) and this early 2024 solo album, which is pretty good.

A bit close-mic’d (vocals on opening (title) track initially reminded me a tad of the style Leonard Cohen in his latest albums) but the accent soon gave it away! :grinning:

‘Bad Friend’ is a great tune and the lyrics about a camping trip in West Wales with warm beer and soggy chips made me smile.

‘They Sold My Home To Build A Skyscraper’ is a clever track. ‘Silver Lining Lead Balloons’ is another cracker.

A tad melancholic in (vocal) delivery but wonderful band accompaniment with some great tunes and lyrics. Nicely recorded/produced.

Worth a spin imho - pleasantly impressed*.

Sublime…
Qobuz 24/44.1
ERA-1s

Edit: *Going to put this on a repeat play. :grinning:

5 Likes

Streaming the 1971 remixed version of Aoxomoxoa by Grateful Dead.

The mix is marginally less dense, and a couple of tracks are shorter I think, but still essentially the same blend of psych/rock, acoustic experiments.

13 Likes

1 Like

Heard the jig on Classic FM this morning so prompted me to listen to St Paul’s Suite:

9 Likes

For some obscure reason a couple of posts of Blodwyn Pig albums by @Tony put me in mind of this: Spooky Tooth - Spooky Two. Same time, maybe. Sounding fab on the cans.

9 Likes

I’m sure there’s a link there somewhere as those guys used to jump from band to band all the time. Humble Pie springs to mind as does Savoy Brown.

1 Like

Yes! Savoy Brown is lurking on the playlist - Train to Nowhere must be heard before I hit the hay.

2 Likes

Great choice. Might as well join you with the tittle track.:sunglasses:

12 Likes