What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

The In Tune Mixtape on BBC R3 FM.

It follows In Tune where the Rev Lucy Winkett discussed the liturgy and music of Holy Week. There was something for Leonard Cohen fans, too, I think, in the Liszt with which the programme ended.

2 Likes

Sounding great on CD - The Wailers - Burnin :smile_cat:

13 Likes

Whoo…some girl friends

1 Like

Art Pepper. Winter Moon. CD. Had this for ages, very pleasant.

Winter Moon is a 1981 album by jazz saxophonist Art Pepper, playing with Stanley Cowell, Howard Roberts, Cecil McBee, Carl Burnett” Wiki.

" He became a heroin addict in the 1940s, and his career was interrupted by drug-related prison sentences in 1954–56, 1960–61, 1961–64, and 1964–65; the final two sentences were served in San Quentin" Wiki

6 Likes

Dvorak Quartets OP. 81 & 97 - Pavel Haas Quartet

8 Likes

Roxy Music
For Your Pleasure
Island first press 1973.

I pretty much lost all interest in Roxy after Eno left and the band increasingly became MOR wallpaper. Their first two albums, though…:ok_hand:t3:

28 Likes

I love Simone Menezes – a great conductor with vision. I worked with her a couple of times in 2021-2 and she is a lovely person too.

8 Likes

Glass as in Phil I guess, Kev?
I’ll have to look this one up, ta.

I’ve liked the quality of the Alpha releases I’ve heard…yet to hear a poor one.

1 Like

Indeed Steve!

Don’t forget to email some dates when you’re free to visit the Yoko!

1 Like

Will do (& thanks!), Kev :beers:
It’s been a weird month all round, so seeing the Yoko exhib would be a real tonic…as will seeing Ese in April! Been too damn long.

1 Like

Tangerine Dream - Hyperborea

10 Likes

This 12th release from Mr Gray is by all accounts one of his best IMHO

David Gray - Skellig

13 Likes

Norah Jones - The Fall.

18 Likes

More from the fabulous Ms Menezes, with a great selection of music:

4 Likes

The postman brought this today. Takes me back.

13 Likes

Hi Ian, I’ve got a few of those Naxos discs, I thought they were pretty good, including the Johnnie Morris disc.

1 Like

Back in the day, this was a highlight of the week.

2 Likes

Garry Naxos are a great label and superb value for money aren’t they for classical.
If they where a hifi company they would be Rega
Chandos and Decca are great for CDs and Deutche Grammophone and EMI are always very well recorded.
Wishing you a relaxing Easter
Best wishes Ian

3 Likes

Fabulous CD of Ray Charles - Ray Charles

8 Likes

Excellent series. I remember one particular observation by I think Elliot on growing up. He said he never did ( grow up) until the day he lost his Father. Something about always having someone to refer problems to.

1 Like