What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Now playing…

Everything But The Girl - Fuse

Tracey Thorn (Vocals), Ben Watt (Drum Programming, Electric Guitar, Piano, Synthesizer, Vocals), Bruno Ellingham (Percussion) and Ewan Pearson (Drums, Synthesizer Programming).

Streaming on Qobuz (48/24)… kicking off this morning with this April 20, 2023 release from ‘Everything But The Girl’ and the music is sounding mighty fine!

15 Likes

26 Likes

A classic comp from 1968.
15/- eh!
Memories…

Soul Direction
CBS/Direction

9 Likes

Staying with Dylan, I couldn’t decide what to put on next, so it’s my default go to for such times. A rather splendid collection of his early greatness.

17 Likes

Enjoying…

Dominique Fils-Aimé | Nameless

Sweet-sounding album. Relatively simple arrangement, but nicely recorded and produced.

‘Birds’ a likeable track with sublime double bass and simple percussion, with gorgeous vocals.

Sublime…
Qobuz 24/88.2
ERA-1s

12 Likes

Superb album!

1 Like

The sound of thunder. :rage:

I love a good thunder storm. One of Nature’s great performances.

1 Like

NewDad – Madra
CD|2024

indie rock, indie pop. enjoyable album.

5 Likes

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery deluxe edition. Purchased this the other day in an attempt to acquire a better digital copy and I am not disapointed. A big thanks to @GeoffC who always championed these re-releases. Currently enjoying the remixes on disc 2. The sound overall is less muddy than others I have, might have to invest in the Tarkus and Trilogy sets.

15 Likes

Yes, saw a cracker in Croatia last year. Prefer them away from my systems though! :joy:

1 Like

I have most of these as Sony issues with SW remixes. My Tarkus is BMG though. Are these all the same reissues ?

1 Like

Some old geezers - Hackney Diamonds - live edition.

Disc: 1

1 Angry
2 Get Close
3 Depending On You
4 Bite My Head Off
5 Whole Wide World
6 Dreamy Skies
7 Mess It Up
8 Live By the Sword
9 Driving Me Too Hard
10 Tell Me Straight
11 Sweet Sounds of Heaven (feat. Lady Gaga)
12 Rolling Stone Blues

Disc: 2

1 Shattered (Live at Racket, NYC)
2 Angry (Live at Racket, NYC)
3 Whole Wide World (Live at Racket, NYC)
4 Tumbling Dice (Live at Racket, NYC)
5 Bite My Head Off (Live at Racket, NYC)
6 Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Live at Racket, NYC)
7 Sweet Sounds of Heaven (feat. Lady Gaga) (Live at Racket, NYC)
20 Likes

Now playing…

Everything But The Girl - Eden

Tracey Thorn (Acoustic Guitar, Vocals), Ben Watt (Guitar, Hammond Organ, Piano, Vocals), Simon Booth (Guitar), Bosco DeOliveira (Percussion), Charles Hayward (Drums), Peter King (Alto Saxophone), Chucke Meichan (Bass), Chucho Merchán (Double Bass), Nigel Nash (Tenor Saxophone), Dic-k Pearce (Flugelhorn, Horn, Trumpet).

Streamed on Qobuz (44.1/16)… continuing on this morning with another album from Tracey and Ben with their talented band and they are sounding sublime!

20 Likes

9 Likes

Hi James, i believe the BMG releases from '16 are the exact same as released prior on Sony. As you say, the first few with the SW remixes and then BSS with the Jakko Jakszyk remix. Also, the later releases do not have a 5.1 surround mix and are therefore double disc sets.

2 Likes

Been playing the album this afternoon, agree on Visions In Blue, not sure there are many better thoroughly ‘new romantic’ songs out there? Visage/Ultravox certainly had the market cornered '78 onwards with a lot of the early classics.
I note with interest that Steven Wilson fiddled with Quartet fairly recently.
I’ll give that a swerve then :rofl:

15 Likes

Afternoon old boy, saw this cheap in HMV yesterday, tempted for a few seconds, but I don’t think I need three copies of the main album.

1 Like

Really enjoying…

Judas Priest | Invincible Shield

Seeking a bit more energy and tempo and ‘flicking about’ on the Naim/Qobuz app, decided to pull up the latest album (2024) from Birmingham metal band that was a favourite back in my schooldays.

Wow, if metal has ever been so well crafted and performed this studio album has it all imho.

First three tracks have so much energy in the guitar riffs and immense pace of drumming. Surprisingly, even with headphones on this is highly tolerable for ‘almost thrash’. Usual metal unimaginative lyrics, but hey, the musical performance is awesome and enjoyable and a superbly produced studio album.

An eye opener! The drumming on ‘Invincible Shield’ is obscenely fast but surprisingly entertaining. And the lead singer is now in his 70s - kudos! :grinning:

Great effort JP! :facepunch:

Sublime…
Qobuz 24/48.0
ERA-1s

9 Likes

Yes, that was a serious misstep, not making the live album available separately, for those keen Stones fans like myself, who rushed out on day one to buy the original. :roll_eyes:

Still, there’s always yon Tidal thingy, innit.

4 Likes