What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experinced - CD (1967)

27 Likes

It’s “sister” album is also brilliant, which I’m sure you know. I have had both since release, I play them quite a lot.

10 Likes

Joni Mitchell, both sides now. :smiling_face:

24 Likes

Tracey Thorn, bought on the strength of reviews (and a love for Massive Attack/Tricky) on release despite not being an EBTG fan, and it’s really good. Especially good SQ. Core.

10 Likes

Lately been enjoying a couple of albums from Samantha Fish, which led me to this…

Susan Tedechi | ‘Just Won’t Burn’

Again another energetic female vocalist and well talented guitarist.

Sublime
Qobuz 24/44.1
ERA-1s

11 Likes

just dipping into my latest acquisition. So far so great

10 Likes

S/H purchase…

1988 European vinyl release, run through the Digritter and sounds wonderful… :+1: :grinning: :notes: :sunglasses:

19 Likes

Ain’t Bin to no Music School.

Superb punk from The Nosebleeds, vintage 1977… fantastic. Ideally should be heard on 45 with a worn stylus… alas I had to make do with a DAC.

5 Likes

But you maybe need the additive! I’m not in that matter but they say it works! :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

Enjoying…

Mark Knopfler | ‘Tracker’ (Deluxe)

Some great toons on here, with ‘Broken Bones’ and ‘Beryl’ my favourite ‘sing-a-longs’. :grinning:

Sublime…
Qobuz 24/192
ERA-1s

19 Likes

Sue Foley - Love Comin’ Down - CD (2000)

@JulianG Somebody else to check out if you haven’t already is Sue Foley, A Canadian blues guitarist and singer.

4 Likes

My Dying Bride : A line Of Deathless Kings 2014 2LP

Giving this one some love today. For those who don’t know My Dying Bride play a generally slowed down doomy metal with very melancholy vocals from Aaron Stainthorpe.

There are some great albums in their catalogue and this is a fine example.

2 Likes

“Sue Foley - Love Comin’ Down - CD (2000)

@JulianG Somebody else to check out if you haven’t already is Sue Foley, A Canadian blues guitarist and singer.
[/quote]

No, I haven’t @Cmax. Will give her a ‘spin’ tomorrow evening and let you know what I think - thanks.

3 Likes

Released later this month I’ve been enjoying the couple of tracks which are already available on Qobuz. Anderson is a great singer imo which makes the full album look very inviting.

1 Like

Great album. My favourite Underworld.

1 Like

Slayer - Decade of Aggression: Live (From the 2011 limited edition The Vinyl Conflict box-set, remastered

I feel like a live album’s worth can only truly be judged in hindsight. In this case Decade of Aggression we now know to be Slayer at their peak before the inevitable decline, while also being the last outing with original drummer Dave Lombardo until their reunion some nearly 20 years later.

With that in mind, this is as good as live albums get. Slayer pull the best cuts from their five album history and while not known for being the tightest live band around (having seen them in the flesh a couple of times), here they execute every note with surgical precision. Honestly some of the track renditions here are so good that they often replace the original in my mind when I recall them, like Tom Araya screaming “I’ll keep you forever!!” in “Dead Skin Mask.” Essential listening.

No surprises here, the recording is faultless, doing its best to replicate the impact and chaos of an ear-splitting metal gig while balancing the various elements so that vocals and lead guitar don’t get lost in the mix. Not a delicate rendition of a an acoustic jazz trio in a smokey bar, sure, but there’s still plenty of detail and nuance for any respecting hi-fi to uncover.

2 Likes

and Paul McCartney.

1 Like

Tommy Bolin’s guitar solo on Quadrant 4 is amazing just as you think he has reached the top, given it his all - he steps up another gear.

Extremely enchanting Albinoni - Oboe Concerti Opus 9

8 Likes

Kinda like that. I felt the wind of time blowing through me :joy: They were so tight, hope I’m that capable when I hit 80.

7 Likes