What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

A CD compiled by Eric Clapton of Blues Artists for Uncut magazine that he loves

10 Likes

Bob Dylan - Slow Train Coming - CD (1979)

15 Likes

26 Likes

Linn Selekt DSM Edition Hub

17 Likes

Natalie Merchant, paradise is there: the new tigerlily recordings. :smiling_face:

14 Likes

Van Morrison - A Night In San Francisco.

11 Likes

He joined the Eagles too late to vocally sing that much……but i like his vocals and what might have been.

6 Likes

Brandi Carlile – In These Silent Days
CD rip|2021

8 Likes

Fan of Annie Whitehead, through her association with Robert Wyatt originally. This with Alistar Anderson is perfect post curfew listening. Core.

4 Likes

Jack Johnson - Sleep Through The Static.

12 Likes

Middle Kids: Faith Crisis Pt 1

Rewarding a second listen. The track Highlands was in heavy rotation last year for me.

2 Likes

After enjoying watching the Eras tour live with my daughter thought I’d check out Swifties discography. Here is tonight’s.

7 Likes

At @Cmax ’s recommendation enjoying…

Sue Foley | ‘Love Comin’ Down’

A great mix of tunes on this bluesy album. Really enjoyed the Spanish acoustic sound of ‘Mediterranean Breakfast’ - top track imho.

Enjoyed title track and a bit of a sucker for great Hammond (?) organ accompaniment that featured on a few tracks including ‘To Be Next To You’ with some skilfully agile Fender playing. ‘How Strong’ closes with some blues guitar work reminiscent of John Lee Hooker unless I am mistaken. :heart:

Overall an enjoyable album.
Thanks Gary

Sublime…
Qobuz 16/44.1
ERA-1s

8 Likes

Daryl Hall + Rumer
I Can’t Go For That (No Can Do)

This is superb. I will be exploring more of these sessions.

12 Likes

Literally ‘amping’ it up a bit with this more recent album from newly discovered (to me) Sue Foley…

Sue Foley | ‘Pinky’s Blues’

Nicely recorded/produced with huge gain on the lead guitar, pretty expansive soundstage and lots of skilfully distorted guitar sounds. Her vocals have come along nicely too.

Another quality album from Ms Foley.

Sublime…
Qobuz 24/96
ERA-1s

7 Likes

Glad you enjoyed Sue Foley, it’s always a bit nerve racking, when you recommend an artiste / album, will they like it etc.

I’ve commented before, how I love this part of the forum, the knowledge available, is fantastic, and its pointed myself on to some great finds, thank you all.

Gary

8 Likes

I agree Gary, it’s a great part of the Forum where we all can share, inspire and learn about new (to us) musical artists and recordings.

I look forward to regularly scrolling through and either rediscovering/reminiscing on great recordings from my youth to play again or widening my eclectic taste in music with some great ideas from established/highly active Forum members.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that not only do we have good taste in the Naim sound but also in the many diverse genres and talented artists that bring their enjoyable music to our ears, hearts and souls.

Long may it continue. :+1:

BW
Julian

5 Likes

Great playing by all involved, lovely sound etc etc, but he don’t half bang on about you-know-what, doesn’t he.

1 Like

Cathedral - Caravan Beyond Redemption (2008 reissue, limited edition, numbered)

I’m happy to admit that I’m often guilty of the "first album you hear from a band becomes your favorite* heuristic and Caravan Beyond Redemption is no exception. A delicious blend of catchy riffs, head-noddin’ grooves , brilliant solos and a dose of silliness makes for one of the best doom metal albums the genre has to offer. I still maintain that Gaz Jennings is one of the most underrated guitarists in all of metal, a man who I feel best embodies the spirit and strengths of Tony Iommi while leaving his own indelible stamp on the music.

As for the recording itself, this is an album I know inside-out, so is this release by Night of the Vinyl Dead Records the definitive version of the album? Yes and no.

Sound quality? Yes, by every metric this is a marked improvement over the original CD, offering more detail, heft, impact and soundstage. Yes, there’s a hint of compression but it doesn’t rob the music of dynamics and is more prevalent on the CD anyway.

Should you buy this if you don’t own any version of the album? No. Why? Because the tracks here are out of order and even missing a song due to it being replaced by a B-side. It’s fine to add to your collection but not if you’re new to the music. There’s a re-issue up for preorder at Earache Records that I plan to grab which I imagine would be the version to get, provided the sound quality is as good.

4 Likes

He sure does!, As you say great playing, not one of his better known ones.

1 Like