What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

The only section of the forum where there are no arguements.

2 Likes

Bill Frisell- Is That You?

Back in 1990 Bill at his best.

IMG_8857

7 Likes

The Michel Petrucciani Trio Live At The Village Vanguard / 2002 Blue Note / EU CD / 724354038228

8 Likes

Steve - that was great! Bex and I saw it at the Curzon Bloomsbury, A fabulous film!

2 Likes

Pink floyd, animals
Pink_Floyd-Animals-Frontal

34 Likes

Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill

11 Likes

John McLaughlin - Extrapolation

Original vinyl. I never appreciated this album when I bought it. I guess my ears were too young and inexperienced. Now they’re a bit older and I can see what all the fuss was about.

11 Likes

Ooooh! I’ve come over all dubby!

7 Likes

Yep… not as immediate as their first album, might be a grower but then i hoped for the same of their 2nd :thinking:

Stephen Stills - Manassas, on hdcd.

18 Likes

LP - Blue Note Tone Poet 2020 : )

Stanley Turrentine - Comin’ Your Way

<<>>

Stanley Turrentine - tenor saxophone
Tommy Turrentine - trumpet
Horace Parlan - piano
George Tucker - bass
Al Harewood - drums

Recorded at Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ on 20th January 1961
Album released in 1987

~ < < :saxophone: > > ~

Stanley Turrentine was born on this day in 1934

born 5th April 1934 in Pittsburgh’s Hill District, Pennsylvania :us:

Stanley William Turrentine (1934-2000)

14 Likes

Glad you liked it, I’m always a bit worried when someone buys something based on a post. It’s definitely odd but in a wonderful way, it’s nice when a band takes a gamble that pays off. It got no air play and unfortunately tanked.

1 Like

6 Likes

Carrying on with pink floyd with another classic
Wish you were here

33 Likes

Love it Pete. Makes me wonder what other unheard gems there are out there.

Stanley Turrentine - Sugar. MOV limited edition. Those guys know how to do vinyl, flat as the Tories’ election chances and quiet as the proverbial. Lovely.

The tilt is me, not the rack, btw. Well, it is the weekend.

9 Likes

Testament : The Formation Of Damnation. 2008 2LP

Why might you possibly be interested?

Testament were one of the founding fathers of the Bay Area thrash scene along with Metallica, Megadeth and Anthrax and are still treading the boards today with 2 original members (singer Chuck Billy and guitarist Eric Peterson)

After hitting the scene with a couple of blistering albums in the late 80’s (especially The New Order) the 90’s offerings were less well received, certainly I struggled to get into them. Turmoil never seemed to be far from the band with a revolving door of musicians and in 2001 vocalist and mainstay Chuck Billy was diagnosed with cancer.

After a long period of inactivity allowing Chuck to recover, the band returned with this slice of epic thrash. Some glorious tunes, angry lyrics, great riffs and drumming (Paul Bostaph) and Chuck singing and snarling like a man possessed. Add in a superb mix by the mighty Andy Sneap allowing all the musicians to be heard clearly, this album rocks hard.

In 2008 Metallica were coming out with the bloated Death Magnetic (most songs were just way too long in my opinion), Testament kept it short and punchy and in my view were the true leaders of thrash at this moment in time (even if Megadeth had a couple of decent albums around the same time).

Top tracks:

More Than Meets The eye
The Evil Has Landed
Killing Season
Afterlife

I know most people roll their eyes at listening to thrash metal (and metal in general) but this album has a great groove, so if you fancy a change give it a try. And certainly, if you think Metallica’s black album is good, this is just so much better. The 4 tracks above will take about as much time as a cold beer.

What have you got to lose….

4 Likes

Marcus King- latest set.

1 Like

It’s getting worse, now I’m getting Tubby dubby…

10 Likes

3 Likes