What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

4 Likes

Which he didn’t get credited for on the original album. Despite being a co-writer of Wishing Well and with a lead guitar that couldn’t have been anyone else he didn’t get a guitar credit.

Fortunately subsequent releases put that right.

9 Likes

Sometimes it can seems a bit pedestrian, especially the sax, but this oddly adds to the charm of the bluesy live performance, and these three guys really gel together really well.
Their 2nd album ‘Omara’ is made up from four different venues but it’s so marvellously sound recorded and engineered it could have been produced within an hour and in the same studio.
Top credit to the sound engineer!

<>

Edit:
…just ordered their 3rd released album: Get That Motor Runnin’ [Vinyl] …£17.61 :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

4 Likes

It’s one awesome album

:+1:

Thanks, I knew about the original credits being wrong, I have not seen the subsequent release cover before. A pity he was not even credited with being in the band. I guess by the time of release he had left.

1 Like

Damn this is a good album! I sense it would have been pretty ground breaking at the time as well… sounding very good streaming on Qobuz…

The Beatles: Revolver

26 Likes

Silje Nergaard, Japanese blue. :smiling_face:

6 Likes

A fabulous album from a talented pianist and his sax-blowing friend.

5 Likes

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue.

19 Likes

“no fathing about with cleaning”
You obviously don’t have an ageing Cyrus CDT… It sounds fantastic, but is so sensitive the merest whisper of a thumbprint makes it skip. My other CDT, Audiolab 7000, would get a tune out of a frisbee, but good as it is, it’s not the Cyrus. I do love CDs though.

2 Likes

Enjoying…

The Wailin’ Jennys | ‘40 Days’

Thanks to @patk for the ‘heads up’ on Ruth Moody’s involvement in this Canadian folk harmony group. Spot on Pat! :ok_hand::+1:

Wonderful opening track ‘One Voice’ suggests a beautifully recorded and soothing album to relax to after a busy and stressful work day.

Sublime…
Qobuz 16/44.1
ERA-1s

7 Likes

Victoria Tolstoy & Jacob Karlzon, a moment of now. :smiling_face:

4 Likes

Awesome Julian, glad you are enjoying it. Can’t go wrong with the others in their catalog either.

-pat

3 Likes

Enjoying…

The Wailin’ Jenny’s | ‘Firecracker’

@patk Agreed - giving this one a spin to finish off this evening and just loving the sound of the girls’ harmonies.

BTW I ‘favourited’ their debut album - corker! :+1:

Cheers again @patk

Sublime…
Qobuz 16/44.1
ERA-1s

7 Likes

Slayer - Undisputed Attitude (From the 2011 limited edition The Vinyl Conflict box-set, remastered)

A placeholder collection of punk/hardcore covers (plus one original track) as an offering as fans waited for the follow up to Divine Intervention. Honestly not a lot to say other than it’s a fine mix of songs, albeit boxed-in by Slayer 's distinct sound. The highlight is the aforementioned original track “Gemini” that closes out the album that might be one of the best cuts the band ever laid down. It’s a moderate departure for Slayer, a slower, brooding piece that hearkens back to South of Heaven days, but with clever and considered chord progression that reveals a maturity through via experimentation not typical of the foursome.

I naively assumed this was a hint of where the band would take their sound but they never circled back to what they unearthed with “Gemini,” leaving listeners with a frustrating glimpse of a future Slayer that never came to be. Shame.

Sound-quality wise, this is the first pressing in the collection that left me unmoved. The original recording of Undisputed Attitude always sounded flat and compressed, a nod to the low-fi sound of the bands they covered and while it sounds as good as I’ve ever heard it I wouldn’t be rushing to demo any of the tracks, with the sole exception of “Gemini” which was mixed differently.

2 Likes

Wow, this takes me back. Strangely I have been thinking about it recently as I saw a CD copy of this in a charity warehouse a couple of weeks ago which I bought and have yet to play. A few months ago ‘Food Glorious Food’ was part of the ‘Playlister Challenge’ on ‘Essential Classics’ on Radio 3. Georgia said that if they played that we’d would be singing it all day. She was right!

2 Likes

I’m old enough to have seen the film when it was first released on a school trip to Leeds, It’s always been a favourite film of mine and have owned various formats over the years, good that’s it brought back memories, enjoy the CD.

2 Likes

Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive! - CD (1976)

Peter Frampton went to No.1 on the US album chart with ‘Frampton Comes Alive’, one of the biggest selling ‘live’ albums in rock history. It was the best-selling album of 1976, selling over 6 million copies in the US. Frampton Comes Alive! was voted Album of the year in the 1976 Rolling Stone readers poll. It stayed on the chart for 97 weeks.

23 Likes

some deep, slow ambient - recorded live.

6 Likes

Enjoying on CD before work - Primal Scream - Screamadelica :smile_cat:

13 Likes