What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Trying a DSD128 version from High Definition Tape Transfers and I have to say it rather good with a very natural and organic sound. Definitely a level above my CD rip.

9 Likes

Natalie Merchant, keep your courage. :smiling_face:

13 Likes

The Cosmic Trip Advisors – Wrong Again, Albert…
CD rip | 2019

Blues rock. Haven’t listened to this in a bit.

5 Likes

Bruce Dickinson - The Mandrake Project (2024 first press)

Bruce is back, jack. After a long absence Bruce returns to what he does best which is overwrought solo projects and The Mandrake Project acts as a distillation of his storied career. I wouldn’t say there’s anything particularly groundbreaking here but if like me you love his Accident of Birth/Chemical Wedding-era you’ll be right at home. This may be heresy to some, but I’ve always preferred Bruce’s solo albums over Maiden and while it will take a few more spins to get to grips with it, The Mandrake Project reinforces that belief.

As for the production, I struggled at first to decide if it was good or bad. Firstly, it’s heavily over-produced, there’s no denying that with a very “digital” sound and what appears to be a fair amount of compression. The flip-side to this is gobs of detail, offering startling clarity, in particular the vocals which at times had an eerily “in the room” presence. Special mention must also go to the bass, which was tight but full of impact and an overall delight to experience. So yeah, not a warm ‘n’
cozy analog recording but certainly better than the “recorded-through-a-woolen-jumper” sound of The Chemical Wedding for example.

7 Likes

Nancy Sinatra, boots. :smiling_face:

11 Likes

Goldfrapp, number 1. :smiling_face:

11 Likes

Tool - Undertow (2006 re-issue)

I’m going to come out and say it: Undertow is Tool’s best album. Sure they’ve grown considerably as musicians since their debut in '93 but with complexity came a loss of focus, opting to flex technical proficiency over songwriting prowess. Undertow may be raw and savage at times but the tightness in which it’s delivered arrests the listener and keeps them pinned to the seat. “Sober” is the standout, capturing a primal energy that demonstrates what a formidable force Maynard James Keenan is with a microphone, to say nothing less about the rest of the band.

I haven’t played this record in well over a decade and recall not being too impressed with the sonics. Maybe it’s running it through a RCM or maybe it’s the far better analog chain that delivers it but my god does this album sound good. Razor-sharp dynamics, huge soundstage and bass that stalks the room like an uncaged beast. A delight.

7 Likes

Steve Miller Band - The Evolution Of The Joker

9 Likes

Blondie - Parallel Lines - CD (1978)

Happy Birthday :birthday: Nigel Harrison 24/04/51, English musician, bass player who spent several years as the bassist of the American rock band Blondie during the 1970s and 1980s.

30 Likes

front

12 Likes

Mose Allison - Allison Wonderland. Jazz/blues compilation from the maestro.

8 Likes

Green On Red - Gas Food Lodging

8 Likes

Thanks for the comments here. I’ve got a version of this in the ‘not played in decades’ rack I thought. Dug it out and it is indeed the Dutoit/Montreal version. I’ll clean it up and give it a play. Thanks for the jolt!

1 Like

Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream…
2013 Kscope vinyl reissue… :grinning: :notes: :sunglasses: :+1:

10 Likes

28 Likes

Time for some early EELS, Daisies of the Galaxy.

14 Likes

2008 vinyl release… :sunglasses: :notes: :grinning: :+1:

10 Likes

2021 Kscope vinyl release… :notes: :grinning: :+1: :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Clean the kitchen, or…

We have a winner!

19 Likes

Daryl Hall & John Oates, H2O. :smiling_face:

20 Likes