What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Vassilis Tsabropoulos - Akroasis

Gorgeous solo piano on a sunny morning. Coffee on the stove.

4 Likes

Are they all downloads? You prompted me to get out my copy of Axiom Funk, which I haven’t listened to for ages! I’ll definitely have to explore further.

1 Like

Already had a listen this morning and I think it is brilliant

Beatles first? Cream only formed in 66.

Ocean Colour Scene - B-Sides, Seasides & Freerides

Reminded, above, about how good this album is, I dug out this charity shop CD for a mid 90s feel good blast :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ese & The Vooduu People
New single on Bandcamp.

A gorgeous reimagining of the title track of the first album UP IN SMOKE

Beautiful.

11 Likes

Yes most of them are and some in 24bit. Axiom Funk is brilliant.

1 Like

I think that The Beatles were extraordinary, but they were four talented lads from Liverpool whose talent seemed to grow exponentially with the passing of the years. As were The Rolling Stones (from Sarf London), The Doors (from LA), and many, many others.

The point that I was trying to make about Cream was that the band was formed of three individuals, who had had had a career in other bands and who came together with the intention of forming a supergroup - hence the name, presumably, in case anyone was in any doubt!

3 Likes

Went for some Janis whilst waiting for the 2nd load of washing to finish.

10 Likes

Not denying that Cream were a supergroup, their musical abilities and legacy are without question, my query was the comment about first supergroup, I would still maintain that by 1966 the Beatles had been there, seen it, and done it, if memory serves me correctly their final concert was in 66.

Factor in what the Beatles achieved in the early 60’s and it is incredibly hard to deny them the accolade of being the first supergroup.

Please don’t get me wrong I like Cream, I am just not sure that you can call them the first supergroup.

I thought the term supergroup was to define a group formed of members of other successful groups?

8 Likes

As Graham has explained the term ‘supergroup’ was not a generic term referring to the ‘best’ or most pioneering group (whatever your criteria), but was a journalistic term coined at a specific time with a specific meaning. It defined groups which consisted of particularly talented individuals who had established reputations and who came together in the expectation of creating something unique. Whatever the Beatles achieved, they don’t fit this definition.

2 Likes

Thanks, bruss and Clive B, that’s what I was struggling to express!

I suppose that Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young exemplify the term ‘supergroup’ in my mind.

3 Likes

The Avett Brothers – The Avett Brothers
CD|2024

New release from the band. Folk, folk-rock.

5 Likes

A great singer songwriter in the best Nashville tradition but with a real modern twist. Great production and arrangements which support the songs beautifully.

2 Likes

A bit of classic JLH and friends over lunch😊

Definitely going to switch to the LP12 after this, as I haven’t run it for over a week.

22 Likes

Guy Clark - Dublin Blues - CD (1995)

It’s 8years ago, that American Texas country and folk singer, songwriter Guy Clark died in Nashville following a lengthy battle with lymphoma. He wrote songs for Johnny Cash, Ricky Skaggs, Jerry Jeff Walker, Jimmy Buffett, Lyle Lovett and many other artists.

5 Likes

The Secret Sisters – Mind, Man, Medicine
CD|2024

Folk, country. First listen, liking so far.

6 Likes

They are really milking it, aren’t they? How many more versions of this song are we expected to see this year?
I have to have a word with @TheKevster . :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi @QuickSticks I can recommend you the Craft US pressing by QRP from 2022. Your LP12 will love this one :ok_hand:

1 Like