What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Djerv - Djerv (2011)

A one-and-done Norwegian hard rock/metal group, Djerv came to my attention with the single “Madmen,” which was released ahead of the album’s release piqued my interest with its punkish female vocals, crushing riffs and infectious hooks. The album itself follows suit and is a no nonsense, high-octane affair that perhaps due to its Norwegian provenance retains a heavy core that gives the music a real edge versus the typical safe, mainstream hard rock. Track variety is good and the trim running time ensures listener attention never wavers. Shame the band never produced another album because they could have been big. Alas.

Happy to report that the pressing is great and that despite the modern, loud-as-a-banshee compression mix doesn’t get in the way of the sonics, offering a nice improvement over the CD.

2 Likes

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five

Calming start to my day

13 Likes

There’s a video up on youtube where someone is playing one of his songs on the piano in shop and in he wlaks recognises the song and starts siging it

3 Likes

Think that’s where my wife found him, she asked me to search for him in Qobuz. Really like the album and downloaded it.

9 Likes

A great record indeed!

2 Likes

Enjoying before out the door to work…such a classic album and iconic cover
John Coltrane - Blue Train

18 Likes

Following a recommendation from a good friend, we start with Yes - Going For The One this morning

17 Likes

Well, that was quick. Just over 38 minutes of wonderfullness…
This will fill a longer period of time, but is just as wonderful :blush:

10 Likes

What is the album please?

Tom Kennedy’s new album “New Start”.

Featuring this Powerhouse (!!)

Tom Kennedy – Bass;
Dave Weckl – Drums;
Stu Mindeman – Keyboards;
Bob Franceschini – Saxes;
Mike Stern – Guitar;
Eric Marienthal – Alto Sax;
Randy Brecker – Trumpet;
Bill Evans – Tenor Sax;
Roger Squitero – Percussion;
Matthias Biston – Trumpet;
Jason Swagler – Alto Sax

So happy some still make music like this.

4 Likes

Beth Gibbons - Lives Outgrown.

3 Likes

Gorillaz - Demon Days - CD (2005)

Gorillaz scored their first UK No.1 album when ‘Demon Days’ went to the top of the charts 29/05/05

16 Likes

Can’t seem to go more than a couple of days without listening to this lately.
Wish I was going to see them on Thursday in Birmingham🫤

11 Likes

On CD:-

Robin Trower - Twice Removed From Yesterday

15 Likes

Jeff Buckley - Grace - CD (1997)

Hard to imagine “Grace” is 30 years old with the best recorded version of ‘Hallelujah’ IMO.

Singer songwriter Jeff Buckley disappeared after talking a swim in the Mississippi River, his body was found on 4th June 1997 after being spotted by a passenger on a tourist riverboat.

21 Likes

Cool outside but hot in here with a new installment of highly political incendiary desert blues from Amdou Moctar - Funeral for Justice. Scorchio! Not sure about the blood red vinyl tho, looks like I’ve just had a nose bleed!

6 Likes

Opeth - Heritage
Expanding my Opeth education with the bands 10th Studio album and the first that finally left their Death Metal DNA behind in favour of their Prog Metal aspirations.

6 Likes

Bit of easy listening. It’s nice but not world-shattering.
Maybe I’m in the mood for some fire

The Comet Is Coming
Trust In The Lifeforce…
Impulse

8 Likes

John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers - A Hard Road

Every time I hear The Stumble from this album, I can’t help thinking of the great Friday Night Rock Show presented by Tommy Vance on BBC Radio One from the days when it used to play music.

17 Likes