What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Killing Joke - Absolute Dissent (2010, box-set, limited edition, hand numbered)

Absolute Dissent is up there in the pantheon of come-back albums alongside Monotheist by Celtic Frost and Voivod’s 2003 self-titled as not only representing a band re-invigorated but in Killing Joke’s case, arguably producing the best music the band has ever laid down. Reuniting over the shock loss of long-time bassist-extraordinaire Paul Raven, the original KJ line-up put their collective heads together and the result is the heaviest, rawest collection of songs in the band’s storied career. There are so many stand-out moments, from the danceable “European Superstate,” the moving paean to Paul Raven in “The Raven King” to the black-hole crushing gravity of the opening title-track that showed frontman Jaz Coleman lost none of his venom and contempt over the years. Pure brilliance.

This sumptuous, super-limited deluxe release on vinyl is befitting of such a lofty album. Svart Records don’t have the best track record when it comes to pressing quality but here they deliver the music as it should be heard. Yes, the music is loud and compressed but that is the case with the CD which is almost brickwalled. Normally that would be the death knell but it actually works to the music’s favor, lending it the feeling of being ground under glass molars. This pressing is a noticeable improvement over the digital version with a big-detailed sound and bass that will test the foundations of your house. I’m pretty certain the dub-bass from closing track “Ghosts of Landbroke Grove” caused a few fissures in my solar-plexus.

A special mention goes to the packaging itself which is as good as I’ve ever encountered, boasting a sumptuous slipcase while the gate-fold packaging of the vinyl proper is the thickest I’ve ever seen with a delightfully glossy spot-varnish. Look, I know it’s expensive as only 400 were printed but if you love this album (and if you don’t please detach and store away your ears, they are clearly ornamental) then track down a copy if you can. You won’t be disappointed.

8 Likes

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead

9 Likes

Blackfield - epon.

A particularly fine album.

12 Likes

Nice Reggae before work begins and out the door
The Wailers - Burnin :fire:

12 Likes

7 Likes

That is a particularly fine album and will be first on this morning now.
Thank you for that post @Clive :+1:t4: :blush:

1 Like

4 Likes

Chris Rea - Auberge - CD (1991)

First of the day, just had a walk round our local park while dog sitting, we are both relaxing with a cup of tea :coffee:

19 Likes

First up today as previously posted.
Thanks go to @Clive for posting earlier and my friend @SimonDC for introducing me to Blackfield in the first place.

8 Likes

Great review.
Ornamental ears, love it!

2 Likes

Staying with the Side Project theme, some Lunatic Soul and Walking on a Flashlight Beam

Side projects:
Blackfield = Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree)
Lunatic Soul = Mariusz Duda (Riverside)

7 Likes

Triggered by my show report, a very interesting version of this famous piece, can also be well used to test your system.

8 Likes

Please can somebody reply on my Munich showreport I can’t post anymore…. As I have used up 8 consecutive replies

Blackfield - For The Music - CD (2020)

9 Likes

4 Likes

Another side project, A Perfect Circle.
A band formed by Tool vocalist Maynard James Keenan and Billy Howerdel.

After a 14 year hiatus this album was released in 2018 and is superb IMO😊

6 Likes

Bill Nelson - Modern Moods For Mighty Atoms - CD (2011)

6 Likes

Oops! This ended up on wrong thread :roll_eyes:

13 Likes

This is Nightports w/ Tom Herbert. Nightports are an electronic duo who record alone and with others. This one is with the bass player Tom Herbert. It’s one of those records that make you wonder how your small speakers can produce such a big sound and go so low. I think it’s great.

3 Likes

Another one of Dejan

6 Likes