What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

One those albums that is perfection beyond belief. A masterpiece.

IMG_9083

13 Likes

Bedtime Tunes:

16 Likes

Ian its an Atom HE and a big preamp improvement on my old UQ2 for sure!
Agree with you on album artwork, in fact I picked these up at the weekend for £2 each, missing vinyl, but will look ok in frames somewhere :smiley:

11 Likes

Mariah Carey, music box. :smiling_face:

5 Likes

Kacey MusGraves, same trailer different park. :smiling_face:

13 Likes

Robert Forster The Candle and The Flame

4 Likes

Faith No More - The Real Thing (original 1989 pressing)

There’s not much for me to say that hasn’t been well-chewed over-and-over about this seminal, genre-defying and genre-spawning album. Much like Only A Lad by Oingo Boingo (a noted influence) and Killing Joke’s self-titled debut, The Real Thing influenced a multitude of bands with its avant-garde patchwork of contrasting musical styles but crashed into the public consciousness in ways the former never would have dreamed of. Everyone knows “Epic” (a great karaoke song if nothing else) but nearly every track on the album is its own curate’s egg of wonders. Whether it be the snarling death-metal adjacent “Surprise! You’re Dead!,” the carnival-on-speed energy of opener “From Out of Nowhere” (brilliantly covered by cello-masters Apocalyptica many years later) or the tongue-in-cheek baby-excoriation of “Zombie Eaters” which demonstrated new vocalist-wunderkind Mike Patton 's chasm-like-range that would typify the sound of Faith No More going forward.

This is a classic for a reason.

Even better, this original pressing (which I can’t quite remember how I got my hands on it) is sublime, showing a clean set of heels to the made-from-asthmatic-cardboard sound of the CD. When title track “The Real Thing” pulses from the speakers on side B, Patton’s vocals are tear-inducingly real, projecting into the room like the voice of god, a goosebump-raising experience. I struggle to think how a remaster (which undoubtedly exists I’m sure) could improve upon what’s here. Yes, the sound is lean, hardly a warm, cuddly affair but that strikes me as how it was originally recorded and not something to necessarily “fix” without altering the fundamental nature of the music.

Having said that, if there’s a “you-have-to-hear-it” superlative-inducing remaster on vinyl out there I’d be curious to know so that I could compare it to the original.

6 Likes

Lou Reed Magic and Loss

15 Likes

Stevie Wonder Fullinaness First Finale (that’s a mouth full)

22 Likes

Kicking off this morning with Susan Tedeschi and the wonderful Just Won’t Burn

15 Likes

Laurie Anderson - Big Science - CD (1982)

Happy Birthday Laurie Anderson :birthday:

American avant-garde artist Laurie Anderson, who scored the 1981 UK No.2 single ‘O Superman’, after it was championed by British DJ John Peel.

13 Likes

10cc - Ten Songs For You

13 Likes

Don’t be fooled by the cover it is an excellent album from 2019

2 Likes

King Hannah - Big Swimmer. Qobuz’s album of the month. Don’t often agree with their choices, but this is excellent - dreamy vocals, intense guitar, worth a listen.

8 Likes

Richard Hawley - 2024 - In This City They Call You Love - Label - BMG - Vinyl.

This is RH tenth studio album released 31 May 2024.

11 Likes

Fink - Beauty In Your Wake.

1 What Would You Call Yourself
2 The Only Thing That Matters
3 Be Forever Like a Curse
4 It’s Like You Ain’t Mine No More
5 Follow You Down
6 I Don’t See You As the Others Do
7 One Last Gift
8 Don’t Forget to Leave
9 So We Find Ourselves
10 When I Turn This Corner

New album from Fink, due for release on July 5th., and if this taster is anything to go by, it’s just another belter from Mr. Greenall - I would expect nothing less. :musical_note: :notes: :guitar: :+1:

12 Likes

Big Big Train - Ingenious Devices

Nice to finally sit down after a busy morning dashing hither & thither…

7 Likes

The Doors. Found this on my holiday iPod. :sunglasses:

18 Likes

Thanks for saying that @AndyP

Could the best hifi in the world resolve To Here Knows When? It would sound epic between two cans and a bit of string and that’s perfection surely?

1 Like

Galen & Paul - Can We Do Tomorrow Another Day?

10 Likes