What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

I still haven’t seen either them or him solo🫤

New Fink track sounds really good Dave. This is the earliest thing I have of his from 1997 entitled Fink Funk. It’s a lot different than his later stuff.

4 Likes

Zappatime - Overnite Sensation on UK Discreet vinyl. Musically brilliant (and accessible) but you just have to zone out the of the time ‘humour’. I’m sure Frank would say it was satirical - yeah mebbe.

11 Likes

Just looking at the album cover the horse looks like it was photo-shopped in or whatever they did in the day. Should it have been Crosby in the last window.

Not sure if this is real - maybe not.

9 Likes

Yeah, he veers between stripped back acoustic, and highly processed choons, such as the Sunday Night Blues Club, both volume 1 and the later dub version.

Saw him and the chaps at Gorilla, Manchester, a few years ago, and they were stunningly good live.

A really tight band, which isn’t surprising, with both Tim Thornton and Guy Whittaker on board.

Criminally undervalued here in UK, he does get much more recognition from our Continental cousins.

4 Likes

The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed

A bit twee in parts but the 2017 remaster in Hi Res is a joy to hear.

21 Likes

Thanks Andy
Its like seeing the album as it would, prehaps have been if Crosby hadn’t left
The cover always makes me smile its very dry humour
Fabulous album though so many great songs on it.
And the last before the equally as great Sweetheart Of The Radio and a more country sound .

5 Likes

Miley❤️

4 Likes

Possibly better known for his work with Khruangbin but this debut is really nice and the final track, River, is a genuine stop you in your tracks moment.

12 Likes

He’s a busy bloke, I’m sure you’ll have your chance!

1 Like

Miss Swift - Folklore

7 Likes

New Order - Republic - CD (1993)

10 Likes

The Grid - Electric Head - 1990

That long ago?

2 Likes

Thanks very much for you fullsome first impressions Graham. I also enjoy Richard Hawleys music, his voice, his style, his composition and it seems like this is another winner so I’ll go and put it in a basket to be purcased somewhere.

ATB Steve

4 Likes

Blackgrass: From West Virginia to 125th St illustrates Swamp Dogg as the modern-day luminary he’s become for many in modern popular music. At its core, this collection interprets soul, funk, and jazz themes through the lens of bluegrass and Americana forms. But it’s so much more than that. Blackgrass: From West Virginia to 125th St is a timeless collection of American music that could only be created and delivered by the 81-year-old self-proclaimed “original D-O-double G”. If for some reason you’ve not fallen into the legend of Swamp Dogg before, this should be the reason that you do.

6 Likes

Hi @Anonymoot, can I ask how you have that NAP 100 set up with your ATOM HE, are you using it as an amp for speakers or a preamp into the Atom. I am imagining these would make a very happy pairing.

1 Like

‘Johnny’s in the basement mixin’ up the medicine…’

16 Likes

Hi @Steve_S
The Atom HE is the preamp into the NAP100 power amp, sounds really nice to my ears, I believe Naim fiddled with it when they hoiked out the original Atom bits? @Richard.Dane might give give a marginally better technical description of the above :rofl:
Cheers
Steve

1 Like

The 100 is a cracking little amp. I have one that’s not in use, and I really ought to sell it, but I keep thinking, “Well, you never know…” :joy::joy:

4 Likes

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble | Couldn’t Stand The Weather | 1984
Why? Well it’s SRV&DT and it’s now hit forty years of age and still sounds wonderful! A big hats off to Double Trouble who were always a perfect match for him back in the day.
A-284965-1573074514-7245

27 Likes