What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Carly Pearce - Hummingbird

3 Likes

I used to record his shows on minidisc, ( yes, I know, the next great thing …that wasn’t and swiftly overtaken by MP3s etc and you couldn’t quite get a whole show on one disc!) but I I still have them and have listened to them again at intervals. It was the wonderfully absurd recordings like the Swedish Elvis with his pronunciation obviously learn from scratched records…Duspicious Minds etc. Much missed here.

Some recent listens

I’d read this was the crossing point between early and late Miles…the next step being Bitches Brew.
Interesting album that does seem to weave both old and new threads

26 Likes

Followed by this - another sort of stepping stone - between The Deviants and Pink Fairies.

4 Likes

Doesn’t seem to be on Qobuz, David, but thanks for the tip - this one is great.
Rebecca Pidgeon - Parts of Speech Pieces of Sound.

2 Likes

Something light and happy to play before out the door to work…always enjoy some Madge
Madonna - The First Album

h

11 Likes

Not so much a stepping stone as something very different - a whole album of Rashied Ali drumming on the left and Coltrane on the right with saxophone and bells

7 Likes

3 Likes

Due out late July.

4 Likes

Ian I’m a bit partial to Her Madgesty as well!
Orbits Ray of Light and Music in particular :+1:

3 Likes

Sigh - Gallows Gallery: Special Edition (2012 limited edition, remastered)

Another album I haven’t spun in a spell and another I initially had a lukewarm response to. In this case Gallows Gallery was a release I was eagerly anticipating after loving 2001’s Imaginary Sonicscape, an album that helped crystalize my ardor for experimental, third-wave black metal. That Gallows Gallery wasn’t the manic tour-de-force of its avant-garde predecessor stung and I felt it was lacking both in experimentation and overall songwriting chops. Returning to it after a long absence and the music on offer is better than I remembered, even if Mirai and co couldn’t re-create those extra-special riffs that zig-zag with gut-slicing delight as in the past. Still worth spinning all the same.

This another gem from Blood Music’s stable and the sound quality is beyond reproach offering a big, meaty sound that is crystalline in its detail and delicate as a spider’s web.

1 Like

Havn’t heard of these before, they sound great. A good Monday morning listen.

Always been partial to a bit of Joe now and then.

4 Likes

Radiohead - Amnesiac - CD (2001)

Radiohead went to No.1 on the UK album chart with ‘Amnesiac’ today 10/06/01. The band’s fifth studio album debuted at No.2 on the US Billboard 200 and produced three singles, ‘Pyramid Song’, ‘I Might Be Wrong’ and ‘Knives Out’

20 Likes

Try this as you will like it as well.

4 Likes

Yeah Music is wicked …my favourite track of hers
Have a good day Steve
Cheers Ian

Tom Verlaine
Flashlight
Fontana 1987

No why needed. It’s Tom Verlaine.

7 Likes

The Eagles - One Of These Nights - CD (1975)

Released 49 years ago. The Eagles fourth studio album ‘One of These Nights’ which became the Eagles’ first No.1 album on Billboard’s chart. The album produced three top 10 singles ‘One of These Nights’, ‘Lyin’ Eyes’ and ‘Take It to the Limit’.

20 Likes

Jon Muq - Flying Away

After listening to the Bonny Light Horseman new release often posted here, this album was linked by Roon when it finished. Another new release that and a very good listen!

1 Like

Can’t get on with their later stuff, just seems a bit too slick to me. This, on the other hand…

19 Likes