What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Same here. I loved reading them, but most of the albums seemed like loss leaders – and not really geared to British tastes.

1 Like

And still a decent live band, believe it or not.

1 Like

Bobbie Gentry, patchwork. :smiling_face:

9 Likes

Cave In - Jupiter (2000, limited edition)

I had the pleasure of seeing Cave In live the other week in their first ever Australian tour so naturally I spun their albums in the lead up to said event. I can’t quite remember if it was Jupiter or Until Your Heart Stops that was my introduction to the band but the former is probably my favorite. Jupiter moves away from the neck-snapping metalcore of the aforementioned genre-defining debut with clean, melodic vocals at the forefront and spacey, jangly chords wrapping the tracks in a Muse-like skin. There’s still moments of atom-splicing propulsion, with the aptly-titled “Big Riff” on retainer to splinter your skeleton (which was played to audience glee at the gig) but most of the music is about drenching the listener in frisson-inducing melody rather than moshpit-geared fodder.

If you have an allergy to strained, tectonic plate-disrupting metalcore then think of Jupiter as your musical antihistamine.

I’ve owned this record for 20 years now and have spun this pressing over many hi-fi upgrades and it’s always rewarded me with a vivid, detailed presentation, albeit not one necessarily built to show off one’s system. It’s not the biggest or punchiest sound you’ll ever hear but what’s on offer is clean and full of life.

3 Likes

Paul McCartney - Band On The Run / Archive Collection - CD (2010 Remaster)

Happy Birthday :birthday: Sir Paul McCartney - 82 Today! 18/06/42

Paul McCartney, The Beatles, Wings and solo. The most successful rock composer of all time. McCartney first met John Lennon on July 6th 1957, who was impressed that Paul could tune a guitar. With The Beatles he scored 21 US No.1 & 17 UK No.1 singles plus McCartney has scored over 30 US & UK solo Top 40 hit singles. He has written and co-written 188 charted records, of which 91 reached the Top 10 and 33 made it to No.1 totalling 1,662 weeks on the chart.

25 Likes

Eagles - Long Road Out Of Eden over breakfast and Wordle

15 Likes

Enchanting Mozart Basson and Oboe Concertos before leaving for work

10 Likes

Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder

Playing the material on disc two from this set (original master). I think I saw PF on this tour.

20 Likes

Another solo Wilson project is I.E.M. Largely instrumental and in style sort of a mix of Krautrock and 70’s Jazz Rock, probably largely improvised. At times hard work, at times brilliant.

1 Like

What a lovely way to start my days listening in the Cabin. Doors open wide and enjoying this beautiful sunny day. Nice choice @Clive :blush:

I think that calls for the 3LP Special Edition, don’t you?:wink:

11 Likes

Master Wilburn Burchette - Opens the Seven Gates of Transcendental Consciousness.

“California mail-order mystic Master Wilburn Burchette was first known from his ads, hidden in the back pages of Fate Magazine, Beyond Reality, and Gnostica News. On his 1972 sophomore album, Burchette channels dreamy early music, druid folk, electric fingerstyle, psychedelic balladry, and new age ontology to create a visionary guitar technique all his own.”

Strangely absorbing. At times his guitar work sounds like a less precise Roy Harper, at others it’s just weird sh*t.

4 Likes

Streaming via Arte:
Billy Cobham’s Spectrum 50 Project
Monte-Carlo Jazz Festival

https://www.arte.tv/en/videos/120107-003-A/billy-cobham-s-spectrum-50-project/

5 Likes

Hi @GeoffC Welcome, I hope you’ll enjoy it. I’m linking the concert I was talking about. Great, I didn’t expect a new album coming out, where did you find those new tracks from Jeff Lorber? I didn’t see anything on his website.

Maybe you already know this album (Gerald Albright - Sax for Stax), however I would like to share it as well, I find it nice:

5 Likes

Kraftwerk - Autobahn
Record

30 Likes

Olivia Newton-John, physical. :smiling_face:

8 Likes

Bob Dylan and The Band, The Basement Tapes.

16 Likes

Tangerine Dream - Rubycon
Many a night spent listening to this with the lights out as a teenager, seemed to last longer in those days
Record

23 Likes

The Rolling Stones - England’s Newest Hit Makers - 2002 - ABKCO SACD 8822872

16 Likes

It’s a long story, but without going into details - I have Jeff’s personal email address and we have some short conversations a few times a year - obviously, I don’t want to be a bother to a very busy, Grammy winning professional musician!

With the London show coming up in November, I emailed him to say we had tickets etc, and he gave me some info on the next release. Then to my complete surprise he sent me a couple of the new tracks, for my ears only and not to share anywhere - which, of course I will strictly adhere to.

The two that I have, are ‘Old School’ style JLF with a modern twist, so hopefully the rest of the recording will be as good.

6 Likes

Sonic Youth. Nuff said.

Sonic Youth
Sonic Nurse
Geffen
2015 reissue

7 Likes