What are you listening to in 2024 and why might anyone be interested?

Fruit Bats – A River Running to Your Heart
CD|2023

indie rock.

5 Likes

John Kaizan Neptune - Asian Roots

A different and beautifully recorded album. Added to library

4 Likes

John Williams - Berliner Philharmoniker

The Berlin Concert

Edward

11 Likes

Fine blues from Muddy Waters
Muddy Waters - Hard Again

13 Likes

Love Heart Cheat Code by Hiatus Kaiyote

Formed in Melbourne in 2011, Hiatus Kaiyote is an Australian band that blends R&B, jazz, and hip-hop with a unique and progressive style. Their eclectic mix is further distinguished by the distinctive, raspy yet elegant voice of Nai Palm, a lyricist inspired by animated fantasy films and nature, who skillfully expresses a wide range of emotions through creative metaphors.

4 Likes

Another fantastic Jackie McLean reissue on the Tone Poet LP series.

6 Likes

Genesis - Trespass - ‘80s vinyl
I love this album, some of my favourite Genesis tracks and Gabriel in great voice. Proggy goodness runs through it.

22 Likes

Mark Steel’s In Town on BBC R4, where Mark is in East Grinstead in West Sussex. I have just learned (humorously) of a burns dressing devised by Dr Archibald McIndoe during WW2, consisting of a mesh soaked in paraffin and halibut oil, to be laid on the skin of burnt airmen. McIndoe was determined that that a party atmosphere would prevail for patients’ psychological health, considering it vital for their recovery. Mark imagines an airman waking after burns surgery and being offered a fine cigar.

Probably better if you listen to it :slight_smile:

7 Likes

And incredible atmosphere on Dusk and Stagnation and White Mountain
They were so unique with their early albums
Enjoy

2 Likes

I read a book about McIndoe, the airmen even wrote a song for him, I seem to remember it went
“We are McIndoe’s army
We are his guinea pigs…”

1 Like

Original vinyl. An absolute banger of an album.

8 Likes

Thanks Eoin. The programme reminded me that any story, however grim, can be well told.

1 Like

Young Mr Surman and the cream of early 70s Brit jazz. Tales of the Algonquin on British Jazz Explosion/Decca Deram red label reissue. Superb - the eponymous suite on side 2 in particular.

9 Likes

The Decemberists – As It Ever Was, So It Will Be Again
CD|2024

indie rock.

11 Likes

Carly Simon - No Secrets.

20 Likes

Sounding fabulous on CD - Rory Gallagher - Blueprint (Remastered )

14 Likes

Gomez - Bring It On - CD (1998)

14 Likes

Richard Thompson - Ship to Shore - release vinyl
Thompson’s new album, and it’s as you’d expect. Excellent songs in multiple styles, gentle numbers and rockers, played by a top band, interpreted superbly by Thompson’s voice, and a lot of guitar brilliance.

17 Likes

th-3471325167
Otto Klemperer Der Fliegende Holländer EMI Classics. 1968 via Qobuz.

5 Likes

Had seen reviews of this when I bought it on release. In truth though the cover & title intrigued me (my jazz knowledge is sparse to say the least). Anyway it’s a cracker. Uniti Core.

6 Likes