What are you preparing for dinner tonight?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

School dinners were like a curate’s egg. The kitchen was run by Mrs Iles, known as Gran. Something like shown, she excelled, a hotpot may have been dire, gristly, probably due to budget limitations. She did a wonderful dessert of a cheese scone, slice of cheese and an apple. Chocolate concrete and raspberry custard was a treat. College catering was by comparison best avoided.

1 Like

That looks awful but strangely quite appetising. Bet it was delicious.

Pork Tenderloin with a Rocket and Fennel salad.

5 Likes

Rustic chicken, perfect for a winters night

9 Likes

As you are now in the countryside isn’t all your food rustic? :wink:

2 Likes

True, but I couldn’t just call it chicken. :grin:

3 Likes

Bangers and mash!

Spuds mashed with Jersey butter, cheddar, parmesan and black pepper. Sausages cooked with onion, garlic, bramley apple, garden peas with paprika and rosemary. Oxo gravy. They don’t get this at Glastonbury. Delicious.

12 Likes

Steak it seems.

Asda thick ribeye on the left (about 1" thick £24.33/kg 30 day matured), Waitrose No. 1 Côte de boeuf on the right (£34/kg, 30 day aged much earlier use by date).

…thanks to @IanRobertM advising of a new Amazon Queen video I got distracted and overcooked the steaks, more medium than we’d have liked but still extremely tasty!

8 Likes

Dinner for wife and me last night ( including a fair bit of using leftovers from entertaining on Saturday)

These are brilliant and the easiest nibbles to have with drinks. Mash up some broad beans with olive oil, mint and a bit of chilli. Toast bits of baguette, put a bit of ricotta on and then a blob of broad bean followed by a Parmesan shaving. Heaven

Barbecued allotment red peppers

Barbecued salmon in a Chinese marinade

My first go at making meringues - these are almond and orange blossom water meringues with orange blossom yoghurt cream and fresh apricots poached in dessert wine with bay leaf. From the brilliant Smashing Plates by Maria Elia - a cookbook about modern Greek cooking

12 Likes

No pictures, but yesterday did an oak smoked and reverse-seared bavette steak on the barbecue. Amazing.

2 Likes

A shame I’m the only one in the household who loves broad beans!

I used to hate them as a child but I was made to eat them with their skins on. It was only later in life when I learned that you could ‘double pod’ them that they became one of my favourite veg

3 Likes

My mother and grandmother used to cook them with bicarbonate of soda which really made them tasty and purple - I enjoy them either way,

2 Likes

First try at these, pea and wasabi fritters with a herbed yoghurt dressing… need to up the wasabi and crush the peas abit more next time but tasty nevertheless.

5 Likes

Roast beef e peperonata.

14 Likes

Ah dinnae remember noo, it wis ages ago, bit sum bloke posted a wee cookin’ tip fur daein yon pork chops, ken.

Might ay bin @Camphuw, @Alley_Cat or yon @Gazza or sum other bugger, whae kens?

Onywye, get yersel’ wan o’ these,

Bend it open a wee bit, get yer bone-on pork chop, an’ slice ra skin intae chewable lumps, ken?

Eftir a wee spell in the fryin, pan, stick yer pork chop richt in, and bung it in yer oven fur 10/15 minutes.

Jist brilliant, so it is. :yum: :yum: :scotland:

6 Likes

Not me Dave………just over burnt toast in the rack if i do it……missus much better. I vaguely remember the post, but not who….old age😥

1 Like

Oversized bangle or toast rack? I remember the post but can’t remember who made it!

1 Like

Toast rack, ya bampot!

1 Like