What are you preparing for dinner tonight?

Brilliant….looked it up……i would take it as a compliment😂

I think it was @TOBYJUG

1 Like

Well, if it wis yon @TOBYJUG … … … respect due!

1 Like

Do I need a degree in Viz to understand these comments :rofl:

I should point out that Viz is something of a North Eastern Geordie publication … … … that’s South of yon border, ken?

1 Like

Nah, I’m to the right/west of the dyke.

Nor me - but it’s great tip

Yes. Found the image I posted of the toast rack contraption.

9 Likes

Ah bow down a’fore ye … … … yon’s the single best cookin’ tip evir … … … ra best pork chops Ah’ve cooked … … … honest!

Seriously, pork chops with crunchy pork rind, yet juicy, not dried out in the middle … … … ‘nuff respect @TOBYJUG :yum::yum:

Edit: Try cutting across the rind on the diagonal to encourage the crackling sensation . :+1:

3 Likes

Luckily enough, the same spirit of experimentation that led towards the chop rack led to today’s lesson.
In fish and chip shops you will most often find cod and haddock on the menu.
But, never have I seen smoked haddock.
So, used a nice fresh undyed smoked haddock floured, beer battered and then deep fried to perfection.
The result was interesting.
Where the usual haddock + deep fried batter = so much more than the sum of its parts.
The smoked haddock + deep fried batter = just tasting of smoked haddock and batter.
LOL.

1 Like

Everyone has their own ideal crackling.
I just like to leave the rind unseasoned and left in peace.
If it’s a happy healthy porker, like what our local butcher supplies. It always tastes clean and sweet with the perfect juicy crunch.

1 Like

Apologies to her britainic majesty for being late to the party…

Home made Coronation Chicken… far nicer than shop bought.

8 Likes

That looks delicious, Camp. I love artichokes. Pickled hearts, hearts in oil, or the leaves with butter or vinaigrette.
I first came across them when I was hitch-hiking thu California the winter of '74, when I was about 18. I lived in Toronto and wanted to spend the winter somewhere warm.
We came upon the artichoke belt and there were artichokes planted for miles and miles, as far as the eye could see. Then we came upon a restaurant in the middle of an artichoke field and stopped for lunch.

Jeez mon, they had every conceivable form of artichoke repast that you can think of. I think I had the artichoke soup and then one with a butter dip. Anyway, it was all delicious and I’ve been a fan ever since.

1 Like

Salt cured cod with grated tomato and dill oil.

8 Likes

Cheating with 2 Waitrose chicken tikka kebabs £9 each but considerably better than the piddly tikka breast kebabs costing almost the same for a tiny amount of meat, and the drumsticks/thighs ate always more succulent.

Just love the Panasonic combi microwave:

Around 45 mins for these…

…with combi oven/microwave when I’m organised, more tricky when preparing multiple items but same for conventional ovens. Cooking space is the overall limitation, I’ve got an unboxed newer combi, it will be interesting to see how much more efficient this will be with both running in parallel.

7 Likes

Definitely a winter’s fav shanks mash and roasted cabbage.

15 Likes

On my little bucket barbecue in Devon - local lamb chump chops and chicken thighs marinaded in olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and rosemary. Served with barbecued courgette and aubergine plus Cornish new potatoes. Heaven

6 Likes

Josephine’s ready for the oven. Basted in olive oil, honey and lemon.
Roasties, greens and yorkies to follow.
Note to self: need to get a bigger tray!:sunglasses:

Update:

I’m starving.,

9 Likes

Bresaola, focacce, olio, limone.

10 Likes

Just back from Devon so bbq with what came to hand. Barbecued carrots ( parboiled then coated in olive oil, honey, cumin and coriander) on top of Greek yoghurt mixed with tahini, garlic, lemon juice, parsley, green chilli and ras al hanout. Topped with quick pickled red onion.

Aubergines coated with harissa and olive oil

Pork steaks marinaded in a sort of Chinese mixture including peanut butter!

The finished product

7 Likes