What are you preparing for dinner tonight?

Was there a fight for the solitary glacé cherry that came in every tin?

5 Likes

Crikey. We lacked the imagination for mixed fruit salad. Memories of my childhood diet are entirely in monochrome. Either tinned pears. Or maybe peaches. But never a combination of the two.

1 Like

I can’t believe you never had fruit cocktail? Deprived childhood

2 Likes

Did you get condensed milk with the tinned fruit ?

5 Likes

Maybe butterscotch flavour angel delight.

3 Likes

Evaporated milk.

Even those with no teeth could join in.

3 Likes

Yup!

Oooh, Angel Delight! Now you’re talking! :laughing:

BTW is condensed milk the same as evaporated milk? I recall that the stuff that Mum gave us kids with our tinned fruit salad was “Carnation”.

4 Likes

How it curdled with tinned oranges!

Grandma’s party dish, melt Rowntrees jelly in a basin over hot water, whisk a can of evaporated milk, stir it into the melted jelly, serve when cool.

Grandma’s posh dish, make Rowntrees jelly as normal, drain juice from tin of fruit cocktail, stir fruit into the jelly.

1 Like

Condensed milk is good for quick fudge Ultimate Fudge Recipe | Carnation

2 Likes

I’ve never actually seen evaporated milk. But I have heard it.

Back in the 70s my elderly Gran had an elderly, toothless lodger (Alec) who would disappear into his room with a tin of evaporated milk each night and the slurping would start.

Come to think it, I never saw the tin. But my Gran swore it was there!

2 Likes

Its a spanish pepper salad…

Roast some peppers, tomatoes and a few whole cloves of garlic until the skin blisters and then cool covered.
De-skin and de-seed the peppers, cut the flesh into strips
De-skin the tomatoes and mash with the garlic pulp.
Thinly slice a red onion and add to the peppers.
Combine the peppers and tomato
Add some fresh thyme leaves and a couple of tablespoons of sherry vinegar.
Leave the mixture in the fridge for a day for it all to marinade.
Serve with boiled eggs.

6 Likes

That’s. The stuff, height of sophistication as far as Mother was concerned

Spaghetti Bologna’s. Like to cook it early so the flavour seeps through.

7 Likes

This is from Maria Elia’s brilliant book of modern Greek cooking called ‘Smashing Plates’. It is a savoury baklava made using fresh tomatoes and runner beans (from my allotment obvs). You cook 2 big Spanish onions down in a shed load of olive oil for 30 mins then add tom purée and cinnamon powder and then 10 fresh tomatoes. Once cooked down you add runner beans and dill and cook for 45 mins to an hour until really reduced. The baklava is made using filo sheets and layers of tom/bean mixture plus layers of feta and sliced dates. Once cooked in the oven, honey is drizzled on top. Sounds a bit weird but it all works together beautifully

7 Likes

At the chateau, roast chickens chopped up, potatoes boiled, sliced and slowly fried with plenty of butter and tossed with confit leeks and crispy lardons, and a salad. Reduced juices poured over the chicken.

PS not my chateau!

6 Likes

Recreated my favourite childhood lunch. Salad jelly.

8 Likes

Looks excellent!

1 Like

Luxury!!!
We had tinned sardines on special occasions …

3 Likes

Basic spaghetti with bolognese sauce is a fav round here, sometimes with meatballs and a 7 or 8 year old Chianti. And I also cook it for a nice while.
Coupla days back I made a Marinara sauce that I needed for another recipe and had loads left over, so it’ll be interesting how it is just on pasta. It was quite different … a fair bit of butter.

2 Likes