What are you preparing for dinner tonight?

Pork is very good value, and a very tasty meat if cooked correctly… :cut_of_meat:

1 Like

One of our favourites…for reasons unknown we call it ‘frog in the bog’ …goes down well in our household…

1 Like

Mrs QS has always called it Frog-in-a-Bucket🤷🏻‍♂️

1 Like

More polite than us … :smile:

The best pork chops are of course those done at home.

My favourite pork chop ever from an establishment was from the Venetian Hotel restaurant at Las Vegas.
A proper good size. Had been brined, slow sous vide and quickly flambéed served pink. Although no crackling. Americans don’t understand crackling. :innocent:

3 Likes

My local butcher does wonderful Iberico pork chops. The meat is beautifully marbled so they stay succulent and full of flavour. Much more forgiving than normal pork chops (which I also love).

A trick I learned many moons ago was to rub the pork chop with a chicken stock cube. It really enhances the flavour. Although not needed with the Ibericos.

1 Like

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/what-are-you-preparing-for-dinner-tonight/4917/402

Another trick, courtesy @TOBYJUG, and which I can vouch for. :+1:

2 Likes

Mussels cooked with butter, garlic and (reduced) white wine:

Wishing everyone a lovely start to the week :relaxed:

9 Likes

Rice and beans … comfort food.
These beans have been spiced up with a bit of paprika so less of a cowboy pampas and more of the Hungarian planes.

6 Likes

Duck with honey, salad potato wedges

6 Likes

Krupnik soup-cllasic mushroom &barley soup

4 Likes

Ibérico presas, mojo verde, pappardelle & splendid Arzuaga.

9 Likes

Fresh Thai lime leaf seems to be a worldwide problem right now to get hold of.
Usually available the ropey frozen alternative which is no way up to it.
Although fresh Galangal seems very plentiful everywhere.
This is a stock getting ready for a red curry with duck breast extracting the most out of galangal, ginger, lemongrass, garlic onion and snake bean ends. Can’t wait.
Will post the finished assembly.

4 Likes

First try… Creamed leek and potato tart with a leaf salad

14 Likes

10 Likes

Egg fried rice with hot smoked salmon

Other ingredients: onion, garlic, ginger, red chillies, fresh thyme, peas – and soy sauce. Simple and delicious.

7 Likes

You could try fresh bean sprouts.
You wouldn’t think it but they really transform fried rice in flavour, texture and looks.

4 Likes

This is how you boil the perfect basmati rice; rinse the rice in a pan by changing the water 5 times under a running tap. Bring 400ml of salted water to boil with a lid on, in a cast iron pan. Add 270gr rice and instantly reduce heat to minimum. Boil for 12 mins with a lid on. Turn heat off, don’t open lid and leave for 10 mins. Serve.

I have a slight variation to your excellent guide, as I’m a bit of a nerd. Weigh the rice, between 50 and 70 grams per person, make a note of the total weight as you will need 1.4 times that weight of water or stock to cook the rice in. Wash the rice until the water runs clear, then soak the rice for at least 30 minutes. When ready to cook, drain the rice, place in a heavy bottomed pan and cover with the weighed water / stock. Bring to the boil, place a lid on the pan and turn down the heat so that it barely simmers, cook for 10 minutes. After ten minutes take off the heat, and leave to rest for a further ten minutes. Result: all liquid has been absorbed and the rice is fluffy.

This technique can be adapted for most types of rice, brown, short or long grain; but not for risottos! I have not tried it for sticky rice, but I suspect I would not soak the rice and reduce the washing of it.

Why are you washing it so much before cooking ?
Most rice has already been prewashed before being dried and packed.
There are some parts of rice growing areas with contamination issues I’m sure. But not all.