What are you preparing for dinner tonight?

Yes your method is similar to mine, but the two variables you’ve added that might affect the consistency each time is the soaking and the bringing the pan to boil with the rice in. I used to soak, but think it adds too much and variable amount of water. If you bring the water to boil first, then add the rice, the time is exactly the same every time.

I think 1.4 water to rice is just a touch too little, but there again you’ve soaked and so it would have absorbed some, so you need less.

Just to add, I always use Tilda rice. Whether tha makes any difference, I don’t know.

1 Like

It removes the starch that makes the rice sticky.

Really. There is also flavour in the starch.
You could try including a knob of butter in the boil to stop sticking.
Most restaurants and takeaways boil up a big pot with lots of hot water. Drain the Cooked water off, then rinse with plenty of cold water until the rice is cold and then chilled for at least 12 hours to dry. Turning every so often. This gives the best results for fried rice

There is a variant that I learnt recently that I think makes a difference. Same as your recipe but for the 10 mins ‘resting’ at the end, you put a folded up tea towel between pan and pan lid. Gets the moisture level of the finished rice just right

1 Like

I take your point about boiling water; I will try it. I also like to coat the rice in ghee that has toasted a few spices first. I think the boiling water will well with spices.

I use a cast iron Staub rice cooker so the heat is retained; it works for me, however I should add a caveat that you touch on. Soaking the rice is a moot point. There used to be some concern that rice from India might be contaminated with Arsenic, soaking is meant to remove it. A number of Indian chefs still recommend soaking, even for biryanis.

I’ve used several brands of rice and they all absorb slightly different quantities of water, but the 1.4 ratio to weight works. Tilda is excellent as are most aged Basmati; however, there is a Royal brand that is three times the price which is the best I have tasted (Waitrose used to sell it). Brown rice requires slightly more (1.5) and longer cooking, say 15 plus 15 minutes.

2 Likes

The Staub pan looks good. Mine is Le Creuset and look the same. Cast iron is the key here. If the rice sticks, your pan, heat or timing is wrong. Mine never sticks now.

1 Like

Venison chorizo with cannellini beans. Not as flavourful as I hoped, despite using old Parmesan rinds and a little chilli. Perhaps I should have added some paprika?

4 Likes

Good idea. I’ve had some venison chorizo recently (from here) and find it lacks punch compared to the Spanish version.

1 Like

You might also want to try sherry vinegar, sugar (makes the tomatoes taste better), salt, Worcester sauce, maggi. Keep tasting.

1 Like

It’s laughing at me

G

7 Likes

This is what I’m drinking as I write this! Tanquery, Noilly Prat and gentian bitters. Bottoms up!

8 Likes

Good man!

Cheers!

G

PS The quote comes from the writer of thee cocktail ‘bible’ who was once asked ‘What’s the best way to drink a cocktail?’ - ‘While it’s laughing at you’ was the brilliant response! (apols if you know this)

2 Likes

Didn’t know it but that’s a great quote!

1 Like

Last night Pork Chop, spinach, cream mushrooms sauce with whole grain mustard sauté pots

7 Likes

A turn in weather suggested it’s time for spice.
Cumin rice with dal. Somewhere in there is a chopped pickled lemon. This pickle was made with carom seeds, no salt or oil - just sunshine.

4 Likes

Now maybe I stick my chin out… You can really build good hi-fi in England, but cook good food? Well…:innocent:

1 Like

:astonished::astonished:

1 Like

Show us all what your preparing for dinner tonight then…:innocent:

2 Likes

We’ll be having Pork Fried Rice, but much later as Mrs QS isn’t due in till after 8pm🫤

1 Like

[quote=“Bjorn, post:3024, topic:4917, full:true”]
Now maybe I stick my chin out… You can really build good hi-fi in England, but cook good food? Well…:innocent:
[/quote]m

If I remember correctly, Trolls originated in Scandinavian mythology, no?

5 Likes