What are you preparing for dinner tonight?

wow, just my style

2 Likes

That’s what I call happy food. :+1:

3 Likes

Boiled egg on toast. :curry::bread::blush:

2 Likes

Our first fig from our tree
Half each .

10 Likes

Sole Meuniere + carrots and lots-o-butter!

14 Likes

Another pizza. Simple tomato sauce with buffalo mozzarella. Parmesan. Capers. Anchovies and jalapeño.
Before i added fresh basil and rocket.

18 Likes

Can you post me one of those, please? :yum: :yum: :yum:

2 Likes

Dave, c,mon we both need to go on a pizza course……fabulous

2 Likes

Aye, that’s probably true, but there’s no better way to decide just how good one’s own pizzas actually are, than by doing a taste comparison with your perceived rival’s best offering.

@TOBYJUG, geez wan … … … ah, go on, go on, go on, go on. :scotland: :ireland:

2 Likes

Can i be the judge😂

1 Like

Looks fabulous

1 Like

Thankyou.
I ran out of my usual Caputo Pizzeria flour so had to use Tesco 00 grade pizza pasta flour. Which can be variable in quality.
So unfortunately it didn’t quite taste as good as it looked. :innocent:

3 Likes

Last night we had a ‘Tuscan white bean soup’ my son was making for his online cooking course with a little supervision from me.

Absolutely gorgeous:

17 Likes

:yum: :yum: :+1:

1 Like

The course is quite interesting in many ways - teaches basic kitchen safety/basic culinary knife skills for food preparation and so forth. In addition being given recipes for things we’d probably never dream of cooking otherwise is fun.

Several of the recipes so far have required gently steaming chopped onions which seems to take an eternity. Yesterday’s recipe introduced me to a ‘cartouche’ made from parchment paper to cover the slowly cooking onions (or whatever) - what a faff I thought, why not just put the lid on the saucepan? I got quite confused watching the video about how to make it but in practice it’s pretty simple and quite nice once you realise what you’re making:

@TOBYJUG - Is a cartouche frequently used? If so does it really help?

This uses a slightly different folding technique to what we were shown.

https://www.theculinarypro.com/cartouche

4 Likes

@Alley_Cat ha… I’ve never used a cartouche with steamed onions. I would imagine it to stop them getting too soggy from the steam.
A bare lid would allow the steam to drip back.
I’ve done halved onions in a bamboo steamer and they turned out delicious. Really sweet and meaty.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ve always wanted to try a bamboo steamer, are there ones to avoid or are the all pretty similar in construction?

Yes all very similar. I would recommend from an Asian superstore. Usually inexpensive for an 8/9 inch pair with a lid.
I didn’t like much the ones with metal rims as they get rusty.
Some have got more of a solid construction on the bottom.

2 Likes

Mrs W wanted steak, I couldn’t eat it all, even though it was nice. Wine brill as usual.

9 Likes

Marinated barbecued chicken breast with French beans and Charlotte potatoes from my allotment. Plus a glass of rose obvs

14 Likes