What are you preparing for dinner tonight?

Glass of fizz ahead of the chicken skewers meeting their destiny on the Big Green Egg.

13 Likes

Turned out nice again.

With a mango/chilli/tomato salad…

15 Likes

That steak looks prefect! Perfect even!

1 Like

Must be the start of Autumn. First blackberry and apple pie of the season, made from the first batch of early blackberries from the border hedgerows.

13 Likes

Followed by tonight’s evening meal creation - Scottish fresh mussels steamed in white wine, garlic, coriander and peppers with a bed of linguini. Delish !

Brioche bread and butter pudding and vanilla custard for afters followed by a wafffer thin mint…

tl

14 Likes

Simple things…

My daughter went blackberry picking with her friend a few days ago and got a good haul. Mrs AC made a cracking blackberry crumble the next day.

The best things in life are often free or at least fairly cheap.

6 Likes

Lamb curry currently in prep. To be followed by apple & blackberry pie plus vanilla custard for afters.

12 Likes

This year’s bramble and apple jelly and one I made last week. Nothing is wasted as the pulp is composted and comes back as next year’s tomatoes :tomato:

8 Likes

Bought these lamb chops from Waitrose today and as usual, never look at the price when buying. Got a big surprise when unwrapping just now, these were £29 per kg! When did that happen? In my mind, they’ve always been £14-£16. I’ve missed out a few years somewhere. Thing is, I’ve bought loads of lamb chops in the past year, but never looked.

8 Likes

We buy our Lamb bought at bookers……even their chops seem expensive.

£24 per kg here in Canada

3 Likes

I think lamb shoulder at the local Waitrose was around £9.50/kg a few years ago, £12 or so post-pandemic, now £14.50/kg.

Their chicken breasts for 1kg or so remain pretty good value.

Local store has replaced most manned tills by self-service checkouts and rearranged everything to confuse me. I have been Victor Meldrew personified shopping there recently, especially despite spending more in recent months I only have crap 50p vouchers again for items I never buy.

8 lamb chops were around £8-£9 in Lidl recently - I though that was expensive, maybe not, but much thinner than yours look.

2 Likes

The problem I’ve found with lamb chops is that the usual Tescos, or wherever……. are tough as hell. I buy from Booths or Waitrose and they’re scrumptiously (love this word) soft. Just got a shock at the price.

Anyway, anyone eating them is horrible. Poor lambs. (Not a joke) I’m a hypocrite.

2 Likes

I find the same with steak - thick M&S steaks used to be great then the store shut. Sainsbury’s thick ribeye are excellent but have gone up from £9 to £10.50 recently but still worth it.

Waitrose Côte de boeuf is fantastic - not cheap but less than at a good restaurant steak.

Most of the supermarket ’Tomahawk’ steaks I’ve tried are dire (including Waitrose).

1 Like

Waitrose Côte de boeuf is so ridiculously expensive, I’m amazed anyone buys it. Last time I bought it was a couple of years ago. Maybe should try it again.

1 Like

It is very good though, and at least locally I think a couple of £25-£30 ones would cost well over £100 without veg in local restaurants. We don’t eat out that often so I can justify it occasionally.

Crumbs, I’d not noticed it’s £40/kg these days

The chateaubriand is new locally and £50/kg. Why can they express that as £5/100g? Inconsistency of pricing metrics really annoys me.

1 Like

Yes they do the per 100g instead of per kg when it gets even more expensive. I love maths and especially in supermarkets.

2 Likes

Lamb, like all stock, are becoming increasingly expensive to rear, which is reflected in wholesale prices. For anyone interested AHDB have the stats.

Bangers and mash! :yum:

With bramley apple sauce and onion gravy. Threw in some mushrooms, peas and fresh basil from the neighbour’s garden. Great comfort food.

19 Likes