What are you preparing for dinner tonight?

Bramble and apple crumble today, brambles are an unwanted treat courtesy of my neighbour and my poorly knee earlier this year, I prioritised planting and my greenhouse ,

I am reaching them by cutting back , and there are masses.

3 Likes

Cottage Pie

14 Likes

My own potatoes , beans and a free range pork chop, with a mushroom and mushroom sauce. Followed by a bramble (from my garden) and apple (from a friend’s garden) crumble (made yesterday) with Greek Yoghurt

Followed by a rather nice cider and even nicer Calvados - treat to myself

16 Likes

That pork chop looks perfect.
Cut towards the business end of the loin. Requires careful cooking. Long enough to make delicious the connective tissues and rind. Not too long to dry it out.
Please post a plated version. :yum:

4 Likes

It did indeed need careful cooking, there were two very substantive bones in it and that brought the weight up to .4kg (for a pork chop :astonished: :astonished: :smiling_ ) . In the end I cooked it like a small joint, sadly the rind only partly crackled as I try and avoid salt these days.

The potatoes didn’t roast that well as they were fresh out of the pot , and I left the crumble in the oven for a few minutes too long .

A very substantive meal and very tasty, that left me dozing afterwards .

Probably the biggest meal of the year so far .

7 Likes

Crickey a 4kg chop.
I would have looked at that as a roasting cut.
Definitely in a Dutch oven pot some how with vegetables arranged so the rind was upright.
Set 165 for maybe 3 hours.
That would have been a portion for 1 :innocent:

IMG_3813

3 Likes

Fried - egg sandwich washed down with a cheeky Supermercado Merlot. The widower’s special :cry:

3 Likes

No .4 kg chop i.e 14 oz in old money, I was punished for the gluttony , I had it quite late and had a very unpleasant night’s sleep

1 Like

Spicy curried lentil burger with mango chutney.

Once you know the power of plant based burgers you will never go back to the dark side.

7 Likes

I enjoy a lentil burger but if by ‘dark side’ you mean a burger from decent chuck steak then I still enjoy those as well!

5 Likes

Chicken n mushroom biryani!

Papads and chutneys to start.

6 Likes

I rather enjoy a large grilled field mushroom with a piece of halloumi in it inside a bun

2 Likes

Potato and Cucumber salad with Cured and Smoked Salmon.

9 Likes

Back from holiday and it’s Saturday. Slow cooked lam curry. Changed it with red onions and some slightly different spices

Atb
Kk

4 Likes

Last bbq of the summer here (probably).
Chilli chicken, some ottolenghi salads and roasted garlic new potatoes. Washed down with a 2015 Corimbo. Yum.

15 Likes

This one is for @TOBYJUG

Orecchiette con Cime di Rape - orecchiette with turnip tops (from my allotment). The turnip tops are cooked at the end with pasta and the only flavouring is chopped garlic and chilli flakes cooked in EVOO. No Parmesan allowed

10 Likes

Are Turnip tops similar to Rapini greens ?

1 Like

They are! These were from my turnips but in Italy I understand that they grow specific varieties just for the tops and don’t eat the turnips. I might hunt some down for next year’s growing

4 Likes

Got half a kilo wagyu A5 from a friend in the food business. I take a small slice now.

6 Likes

Improvised Salmon Linguini with (small) courgettes from the garden. Helped along by a delicious Hawkes Bay Chardonnay from the ever-reliable TWS.

7 Likes