What are you preparing for dinner tonight?

That Brooklyn lagers a nice beer, tried the States a few years ago and it’s now available here. :+1:

A bowl of Ramen soup (courtesy of Ramen Nagi in Palo Alto, CA), nothing on earth can beat a simple bowl of ramen soup.

11 Likes

Fennel, pea and bacon risotto anointed with Hawkes bay olive oil, Parmesan and served with Hawke’s bay Chardonnay. Delissimo

10 Likes

That’s looks very inviting. :+1:

1 Like

@Haim, I know this thread is about making your own dinner for tonight, but I cannot resist posting about a simple breakfast dishes that I have enjoyed for years.

This is one of the most popular breakfast dishes in Japan, very simple, just a raw egg on top of rice, plus some toppings.

2 Likes

Ok, not exactly dinner but a lovely Madeira cake just out of the oven. :smiley:

6 Likes

My take on a traditional chicken Vietnamese Pho.
Using last nights leftover roast chicken.

11 Likes

Interesting! How do you know how to cook Pho? Any suggestions?
I can see you have all the Vietnamese herbs+the red hot chilies in the bowl. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Veg home made curry to balance out yesterday evenings home grown sirloin steak :yum:

3 Likes

Pho prep can get pretty hardcore, with roasting of bones and vegetables to get a charred smoky depth.
This was just using the leftover bones, skin and the chilled fat juices of last nights roast chicken.
Just simply simmered for 2hours with loads of ginger, lemongrass, lime leaves, garlic and shallots just crushed still with their skins on thrown in a big pot with a litre or so of water.
Along with a small handful of star anise, coriander seeds and some random celery and green beans I had sitting in the fridge too long - and a touch of brown sugar.
Then sieved to get a clean broth.
Then using the meat pulled before from the roasted chicken along with your other toppings.

3 Likes

@Haim, just a bit of interesting historical tidbit regarding the true origin of the ground meat part of the Hamburger -

Urban legend, perhaps spurred by the name, credits the Mongols with the creation of the raw beef delicacy called steak tartare. As the story goes, Tartar horsemen would wedge pieces of raw horsemeat underneath their saddles to dine on still raw but nicely tenderized at the end of a long day.

5 Likes

….and cricket wicketkeepers sometime after, with a nice fillet in the palm of the glove :cricket_bat_and_ball: :gloves:

2 Likes

Breakfast, looking for something relatively low carb this morning.

I don’t cook ‘omlettes’ often, but this was a lovely change using some leftovers/food just beyond or close to best before dates:

This was very succulent/fluffy in texture for a change - normally I burn them or they turn out like leather.

Someone will surely tell me the correct method/ingredients for an authentic omlette however, partly for my own records:

Fried quickly in olive oil/butter, then put in a separate bowl:

2" length diced courgette
1/2 small leek thinly sliced
1/4 red pepper sliced
A few chopped shitake mushrooms
Sprinkling of Italian/dried mixed herbs

Whisked together by hand:

3 organic eggs
Organic milk
Chopped fresh parsley
Salt
Finely ground white pepper

Heated 1 oz butter in same frying pan.

Added:
Small amount of previously sautéed veg.
Half of whisked mixture.
Some diced chicken breast from last night’s roast.
Small fresh sliced tomato
Diced leftover new potato from last night.

Cooked on low heat for several minutes.
Put lid on frying pan for several more.

Served with sprinkling of fresh parsely and coarse ground black pepper.

Ketchup was not needed!

Unfortunately my tea was lukewarm by the time I’d cooked the thing. Just having a fresh mug.

4 Likes

Now that’s set me thinking: memorable steak tartares.

Two come to mind; the first was at a restaurant on the banks of the Neris near the film studios in Vilnius. As an aside Vilnius was a source of excellent fillet steak, but on this the meat arrived finely chopped, with small dishes of chopped onion, capers, paprika and gherkin. Another dish held an egg yolk. It was a do it yourself exercise, with copious quantities of salt and pepper required. It was washed down with several shots of ice cold degtine - vodka. I don’t think this establishment exists today.
The second, and frequently visited restaurant was cafe Kor in Budapest. This cafe Is a popular haunt in District V on the Pest side of the Danube; here, the ingredients were set out as above, but with two exceptions. First, the paprika was a local variety that was sweet, and the second was that instead of vodka, a glass or two of the dry, Sherry-like, Tokaji known as Szamorodni.
These were not small dishes, and could as served as a main course, but they memorable because of the quality of beef, and that you mixed them yourself - pure heaven.

1 Like

Sausage casserole for late lunch here. Some mushrooms that needed to be used, garlic, onion, potatoes, carrots, Cumberland sausages, tinned tomatoes, chicken stock, chili powder, bay leaves, slowly bubbling in the oven while some bread bakes in the bread maker to mop up the gravy.

7 Likes

Roast pork chops.
Using my ingenious modified breakfast table toast rack to ensure an even crackling.

10 Likes

Stealing that idea … brilliant! :+1:

1 Like

I would have sealed those good looking chops first. The rack is brilliant!

Atb
Kk

Macaroni and Cheese enhanced with nutmeg, mustard, mushrooms, basil leaves, oh, and boiled eggs.

3 Likes

May we see an ‘after’ photo next time please?
Excellent idea.
Do you Salt the chops in advance, and have you tried them brined?