What beer are you drinking and WHY might anyone be interested?

Beer festival so spoilt for choice…

But it was great to rediscover this one:
IMG_5572
Made by local microbrewery Odins in Laxey, it has a history… originally developed for the now defunct Hooded Ram brewery, maybe 10 years or so ago, I discovered it then, when that brewery used to have a monthly tasting bar, with a variety of experimental ales, some developing into full production. Little King Louis was one of them. (Very popular and enjoyable evenings, which I miss!) The head brewer from HR moved on to Odins p, and it seems has re-created one of his old masterpieces (as well as some other good beers).

Little King Louis at 6% ABV is not for the feint-hearted, and on initial taste the strength is quite dominant, However it is a well balanced IPA, and by the end of the first half it is easy to forget that it is near ore than 50% stronger than many an IPA. For a good drinking session it doesn’t beat my longtime favourite Okell’s MPA on draught, nor bottled ales like Proper Job, but if drinking only a couple or less then Little King Louis is rather delightful and definitely hard to beat! So glad to see it back, and the star of my visit to this year’s local festival.

8 Likes

Those ale names remind me of potholing trips with the scouts, more than half a century ago!!

1 Like

One has been introduced to Bruno. Just awaiting my first shipment.

1 Like

Two new adnams beers. Had the Belgian style one last night, very tasty.

9 Likes

Sainsbury’s (other supermarkets are available) had an offer on their Golden Beer selection boxes, so I bought a couple. The weather has been pretty decent (ie not raining) this weekend, so it’s a cheeky Hobgoblin Gold in the Garden :beers:

14 Likes

Excellent choice of reading material there!

1 Like

The Alcohol helps offset the anger I feel after reading some of the columns. Excellent read though :+1:

2 Likes

Back to the Bitter Suite in Lichfield. Blonde and Jean Genie both excellent.

11 Likes

Getting cooler here so probably the right temperature for an English summer beer. :rofl::rofl:

13 Likes

Life’s a beach…

11 Likes

Hanssens last night, Oud Beersel tonight

13 Likes

Hanssens Artisanaal is my favourite oude geuze. Hard to find though.

1 Like

Doombar.

1 Like

Kwak. The glass never gets old.

14 Likes

my go to belgian beer… love it.

1 Like

Another good one from Thornbridge. American hops are not as aggressive as is sometimes the case.

11 Likes

Back from our afternoon dog walk and this is going down very nicely. Happy Sunday folks.

11 Likes

Hello everyone,

after a longer break I’m back with a new profile picture so that the doctor won’t recognise me. He said no alcohol, but as he doesn’t use anything from Naim he probably doesn’t read here either. :smirk:

Here is a “Vienna Theresianer”. Interestingly, it comes from Italy, Treviso to be precise. No idea why there’s a lighthouse on the label, there are no lighthouses in Vienna or Treviso.

In any case, the beer tastes excellent. :+1:

16 Likes

Welcome back!

2 Likes

I was curious about the inland location of the brewery and its association with a lighthouse. I did a bit of digging and the full name of the brewery is ‘Theresianer Antica Birreria di Trieste 1766’ so I wonder whether it was originally brewed in Trieste - which does have a lighthouse.

Cheers,

Ian

3 Likes